Wedding Cake Newbie In Need Of Some Fondant Help!

Decorating By ViolettesMum Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm by cricket0616

ViolettesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ViolettesMum Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all i am currently in the process of getting married in 6 months, and i was looking into making my own wedding cake with the help of my maid of honor and bridesmaids.....only problem is i dont have a fondant recipe....also can i make the fondant 6 months before the wedding and store it some how? like i said im a newbie...lol pls help!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 5

I do'nt know about making fondant, as I've never done it before... however I do know that there are some amazing fondants out there that you can buy for very little money, especially if you only need it for the one cake icon_smile.gif

I personally use Satin Ice fondant, there are many websites online you can order from. I am Canadian, so I choose to buy from Canada to lower my shipping costs (I found a local place to buy from, no shipping needed icon_smile.gif )
It comes in a variety of colors, and you can lighten them by adding some white in there, or change the color totally by mixing together, or adding gel paste to your white fondant icon_smile.gif

I'm love fondant, but I've never made it. I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope so icon_smile.gif And you can keep this store bought fondant for a long time as long as it is well sealed it will stay soft icon_smile.gif

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 5

I make fondant instead of purchasing it. I use Michele Foster's recipe - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant . You can freeze it without any problems for longer than 6 months as long as your wrap it properly - triple plastic wrap and then a freezer bag with the air squished out.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 5

If you've never used fondant before I would highly suggest buying it. Just DON'T by Wilton (nasty). I would also make a practice cake to be sure you can actually pull it off if you've never done it before. JMO

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 5

Wow!! Making your own wedding cake along with everything else that will be going on is going to be stressful. Since this would be your first fondant cake, I would also suggest buying fondant. I use Satin Ice and it has worked well for me in the past, however their is a thread out there about issues we are noticing. DO NOT use wilton. If you visit Global Sugar Art they have a great variety of fondant to purchase.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%