White Chocolate Roses/swags/coverings

Decorating By Steady2Hands Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 7:39pm by oolala

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to make this cake (in an ivory color) http://www.bhg.com/bhg/store/common/largeCoverPopup.jhtml?imageUrl=/bhg/images/Store/Products/p_SCWeddingSum06_555946.jpg for a wedding. Wow ~ do I ever feel overwhelmed and way out of my league. The article says that the covering, roses, and swags are made out of white chocolate.

Any and all tips and suggestions are needed and welcome.

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:10am
post #2 of 9

The most likely used plastique-chocolate clay-modeling chocolate.

It can be used very much like fondant. The flowers can be made way ahead.

The white chocolate will cost you, so don't under price this one.

You can practice on an inverted cake pan, to get the feel of the covering.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 9

Do you make this plastique-chocolate clay-modeling chocolate? If so do you have a recipe please!

Steady2Hands Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 9

I have searched for the past couple of days for recipes but have not seen that particular one. Is it on this site? If not, could you please share it? Thanks!

I'll try practicing this weekend. My family will think I've lost my mind icon_lol.gif .

As far as underpricing ~ I'm the queen of underpricing icon_redface.gif . When I got married 18 years ago my mom cried when she found out how much my wedding cake was going to cost. I still have those visions of her in my mind and that makes it hard for me to charge what my cakes are really worth. Hopefully I'll overcome this one day.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 9

Here's the link for a chocolate clay recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1608-0-Chocolate-Clay-Modeling-Chocolate.html

As far as the cake, don't worry about the magazine doing it in white chocolate, try a dummy in fondant and if that works make white chocolate fondant and that will make your life a whole lot easier! icon_rolleyes.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 9

I've got some fondant to practice with. A friend took a Wilton class and she gave me her leftovers. I've been saving it to practice with. Maybe I'll practice with a small amount of the chocolate clay so I can get a feel for it. Thanks!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 9

Steady2Hands:
you can also buy white chocolate rolled fondant from Caljava.com. icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 9

It is basically a pretty simple design, it looks more complicated than it really is. But my word of advise to you is to practice making some drapes and roses before commiting to make this cake. You don't want to take on something you are unsure of and end up being frustrated or stressed, and you want to be able to deliver the finished cake as close to what they expect or dream of as possible so they won't be disappointed. Their word of mouth is what will help or hurt you with future orders.

oolala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oolala Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 9

that cake was made by : Cake Work in SF, CA...
I have that magazine. Their cakes are beautiful.. they do the stripe chocolate wrap. i love working with Chocolate Clay AKA Chocolate Plastic and chocolate leather. It feels like fondant but tastes different and is much easier to make than MMF. this was done out of Chocolate clay (everything on it). As per Shirley W. suggested, practice, practice and practice. Pracrtice makes perfect.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%