Bubble Under Icing

Decorating By AdorableCakes Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm by JanH

AdorableCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdorableCakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 4

I have never had any problems with regular (with transfat) shortening. I resently started to use Sweetex to make my icing, and my icing is getting a bubble under the icing??????? What is up with that? Can anyone help me, since I have a 4 gallons of sweetex now. icon_cry.gif

3 replies
luv4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv4cake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know if it has anything to do with the type of icing you are using. I used to get bubbles under my icing as well and then I figured out it was because I was using the paddle attachment when I was making my cake mix. You should be using your whisk. I hope this helps.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4cake

... because I was using the paddle attachment when I was making my cake mix. You should be using your whisk.

I have always used the paddle b/c it doesn't put as much air into the icing as the whisk does. Haven't heard anyone say this before.

As for bubbles under the icing... Are you icing your cake cold? if you are then as the cake warms up the air expands and can create bubbles under your icing.

Not sure what else could cause it... it's been awhile since it's happend to me, and I still don't know why mine did it (my cakes had never been cold last time it happened)

I have not used sweetex before though either, is it possible you may need to modify your regular recipe to use it? Not sure, maybe someone else can touch on this?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4cake

... because I was using the paddle attachment when I was making my cake mix. You should be using your whisk.

I have always used the paddle b/c it doesn't put as much air into the icing as the whisk does. Haven't heard anyone say this before.

Exactly.

When substituting hi-ratio (Sweetex) for Crisco use 1 cup of hi-ratio per 7 cups of powdered sugar or 2/3 cup hi-ratio for every cup of Crisco (in Crisco recipes).

FYI, hi-ratio can absorb MORE liquid than Crisco, so your Crisco recipes will need adjustment (either use less shortening as noted above, or add more liquid, otherwise the icing will be VERY STIFF).

You might want to try using your Sweetex in recipes that are written for hi-ratio:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633723-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%