Sheet Cake Size?

Decorating By CWIL Updated 3 May 2010 , 11:32am by CWIL

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 12

What size do you guys consider to be a "FULL" sheet cake? I need to make one and am finding lots of differences!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 12

In the industry, a full sheet is 18 x 24.
A half sheet is 12 X 18.
A quarter sheet is 9 X 12. (Although most people use a 9 X 13 as a quarter sheet.)

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 12

Leah_s numbers are the ones I am familiar with.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 12

I'd go by how many servings they needed, not the size myself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 12

Sheet cake sizes (history of) and how to compute number of servings:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661804-math.html

CWIL Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks guys. Leah_s, the 18x24 is what we went with. Strange that everyone considers different sizing for this!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

Strange that everyone considers different sizing for this!

Who is this "everyone" that considers different sizes? Just curious. The industry standard sizes, as listed above by Leah_S are just that, industry standards, so there shouldn't be any variation, at least not among bakers. John Q Public, on the other hand, is generally clueless about most things when it comes to cake. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:49am
post #8 of 12

prterrell, you wouldn't believe ....

I recall a thread in which a CC'er said, "The biggest pan I can fit in my oven is the 11x15, so I call that a full sheet." Hello!!!!!? Someone is making up terms based on how big their oven is? icon_confused.gif (although let me conceed that I can't remember now if the CC'er called it a full sheet or a half sheet ... in either case, she was wrong in the size and wrong in her logic. I think I have the thread saved on my laptop, but I'm goofing off at work right now.)

Grocery stores are starting to stock 11x15's and calling them half sheets as part of the new trend to reduce the size rather than raise the price (a half gallon of ice cream is now 1.5 quarts).

Agree on the John Q. Public thing, as illustrated by my friend who asked for pricing on a full sheet. When I asked how many guests he was planning, he said TEN! icon_eek.gif So I asked him, "So how come you want a cake that serves 100, then? icon_confused.gif

CWIL Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 12

prterrell, I asked several bakeries around town and they all used a size other than 18x24 as a full sheet.

indydebi Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

prterrell, I asked several bakeries around town and they all used a size other than 18x24 as a full sheet.

HEre's a supplier who is selling "standard" baking pans of 18x24: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/68102/Standard-Aluminum-Baking-Pan-Sheet-Size-18-x-26-x-1-inch.htm

Here's a link that pretty much gives a history of standard baking sizes, comparing the difference between commercial sizes and home-hobby sizes: http://www.makeacakehouston.com/id27.htm

Out of curiosity, what sizes did they give you as a full sheet? I'm wondering if they are using the terms as marketing to the general public instead of the true dimensions, such as "not many people order a full sheet to feed 100, so let's call the 50-serving the full sheet just so John Q. Public can use the terminology". (similar to the 1.5 quart "half" gallon of ice cream).

Just curious......

PiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiePie Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #11 of 12

my pan is 16 x 24. The box and board I use is 18x25. This allows enough room for the icing and border.

CWIL Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:32am
post #12 of 12

One was like PiePie's and 16", another was 15" - don't remember the rest - all close to 18 x 24, but not the "standard" 18x24. Even the packaging that we used (which was said to hold a full sheet) to box up the cake wouldn't hold our 18x24 and we had to trim the cake down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%