Cupcake Towers- How To Up Light This?

Baking By Reimagining_Confections Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm by jenng1482

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Fellow CC'rs,

I just built this cupcake tower(four boxes- lids come off) for a wedding shower cupcake display Ifor yesterday. I rented the box to the bride to be's mom.

I have another wedding for my cousin coming up and plan on reusing this. She is having a winter wonderland wedding and I would love to back light, under light, add light icon_lol.gif somehow to this display. I was thinking of raising each level by putting litte square votive holders the small short ones (clear) in each corners and balling christmas string lights in the center.

Then the idea would be that the lights would glow under the boxes and sort of back light the cuppies? What do you guys think?
LL
LL

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 7

not sure if this is feasable, but it would be really cool to build separate lids for a lighted cupcake display. Like if you could make the lid (not the border of the lid, but the top of the lid itself) out of plexi glass?? Then you could just stick Christmas lights inside each box, run a cord through a hole in the back of the bottom box? Would be gorgeous.

For an easier fix, what about just arranging votive candle around and amongst the cupcakes (think cut crystal looking glasses, white candles, maybe put glitter in the base around the candle) the light coming off the glitter and the cut glass would really sparkle!!

OH............and by the way.........one of the most beautiful cupcake stands I've EVER seen. I've always loved these box type ones and I just love the interest and elegance yours has with the molding around the lids.

I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE some directions and a list of materials that you used (you'd do better typing the directions out and saving them to a notepad and keep for future reference) everyone is going to be asking for these directions!! The stand is amazing!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 7

WOW icon_surprised.gif your cc tower is really beautiful - so classy! I agree with KH, the molding really sets it off thumbs_up.gif .

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 7

Good Ideas KH - the votive would be a nice simple way, but I love your plexiglass idea. Just need to figure out where to get plexi and how to cut. Yeah, I am wondering if there is a market for these. I will try to put together a tutorial on the boxes. Hubby cut the trim and wood and I stuck it all together and painted.

Thanks iamcakin for your nice words. I put so much work into it and it was gone and done with so quickly(but I have the pics and a groovy cuppie tower to keep so well worth it thumbs_up.gif )

Thanks guys and if anyone else has more ideas- keep em comin!

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 7

Since your border on your stand seems to be raised above the actual base of the platform, why not run a rope light all the way around the inside edges? They sell rope light in different sizes & colors too. Also, with the rope light, you can just wash it off is any icing was to get on it accidently since the casing is an acrylic/plastic type material.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 7

how much did you charge for a rental/ deposit on the stand? I really want to make one but can't figure out how much to charge to rent it and then the deposit. Just covering the cost of materials in a deposit would be rediculous because there is SO MUCH MORE time involved in these beyond the wood!

As for whether or not there is a market........there definitely IS!! The only problem with these stands is they're SO heavy and shipping to different areas can be expensive. If your DH decides he'll build them and you DO sell them........I would figure the shipping into the cost and offer "FREE SHIPPING"......that way people won't be turned off by the shipping charges, just build it into the regular price for the stand.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 7

I really like the plexiglass idea as well. Any glass replacement store should be able to cut the right sizes for you. Then, have your (very talented) hubby add trim to those pieces as well and Voolaa!!! - you've got interchangable lids for your beautiful stand. I could see using this atand for so so many occasions! I would also be very interested in a tutorial or ordering one from you if you and your hubby decide to market them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%