Edible Varnish, Problems...

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 4:10am by Bubbl3h3ad

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 17

Hey guys. I have a recipe for edible varnish that I wasnt really thrilled with. It's made using gelatin, water, and glucose (or corn syrup).

I made a twilight themed cake and used it to shine a fondant apple used for the cake topper. As I was painting it on, it dried so fast that it kept sticking to my brush and Id end up pulling it off the apple. I messed up a few times, but luckily I was able to just peel it off the apple, reheat the varnish, and try again. Eventually I sorta got it.

Problem is, I want to try this again but this time I have a large bowling ball I need to cover. I think Im going to use the Wilton sports ball pan. Im looking up the dimenions online now to make sure it's big enough. Anyway, anyone have any ideas on a good way to cover something so big? Anyone know of a better recipe? I wonder if I can use flavored gelatin, because, as Im sure most of us know, plain gelatin is flat out naaaaasssstttyyyyyyy. This is going to cover the whole cake, so it worries me a little.

I looked online for some of that spray varnish, but it's special order and I dont know if Id get it in time for the 20th.

Any other ideas on how I can achieve a nice glossy shine?...or... Anyone whose done this before, can you offer me any advice on how to do this better?

16 replies
vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 17

I've used the Butter Flavor Crisco Spray on my cakes to make them shiny ~ sprayed the cake right before I deliver

HTH ~

Vicki

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 17

If you can find a place to buy it, confectioner's glaze dries with no taste or odor (although it smells horrible when it's wet). It also works fine to cover large things with it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 17

Maybe steaming it would give it the shine you desire? I didn't have any luck with my edible varnish recipe either. I have used Pam and it worked okay, but it was by no means, ideal...

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of 17

steam it.... I bought a steamer, BUT I can't use it 'cause it drips when the steam comes out.... so DH was like.. lemme try this... (he went upstairs and got the iron... good old regular iron.... filled it.... then press the blast steam butom a few times while I turned the cake.... it was nive and shiny, so shiny it looked like if you touched it....u would have left a print mark.... but after a 5 minute wait.. u touched it and there was no sticyness at all... it looked like when buddy from TLC_CA_KE__BO$$ steams his cakes... I am a new believer in the steam method... if u r not sure... take a small piece of fondant... let it dry overnight
in the morning go ahead and steam it.... wait 5 minutes (less if u have a fan) and touch it... u will see... it's great...

good luck

dazeyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazeyjo Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:36am
post #6 of 17

I'm a total newbie but I smeared piping gel on a fondant bottle and it worked great! I'd like a recipe for something homemade if anyone has it. Thanks! [email protected]

cakesrock Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeyjo

I'm a total newbie but I smeared piping gel on a fondant bottle and it worked great! I'd like a recipe for something homemade if anyone has it. Thanks! [email protected]

I used piping gel to make my perogies (on my Ukrainian plate cake) look cooked/shinier too. But it takes longer to dry. I have also used Crisco, but the sheen dimishes after a bit. I still think steaming is the best way to go!
PS: I think there's a good piping gel recipe in the recipes section on this site!

dazeyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazeyjo Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks! I'll check that out. And your cakes are awsome! Coming from this little Polish girl: Those pierogi, kielbasa and gołębie look sooo yummy! What a great idea!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 17

i remember reading a comment about the edible varnish that you have to keep it hot while you're working with it. you can try 50/50 corn syrup and clear liquor (e.g. vodka, everclear) and that works great. here it is on my cake that's supposed to look like a ceramic cat:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1599106.html

cakesrock Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i remember reading a comment about the edible varnish that you have to keep it hot while you're working with it. you can try 50/50 corn syrup and clear liquor (e.g. vodka, everclear) and that works great. here it is on my cake that's supposed to look like a ceramic cat:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1599106.html

That ceramic cake looks fantastic!

cakesrock Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeyjo

Thanks! I'll check that out. And your cakes are awsome! Coming from this little Polish girl: Those pierogi, kielbasa and go³êbie look sooo yummy! What a great idea!

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #12 of 17

That's a cute cake! How does the vodka and corn syrup taste on a cake though?

I kind of like the piping gel idea. I have some of that on hand. I hope I could get it on smooth enough. Can I heat piping gel a bit to make it thinner so it paints really smooth?

I need it to be super glossy so that may be the way to go. Does it dry at all once on the fondant? I guess it doesnt really matter though. Honestly it just needs to look the part. Once you cut it and eat it Im sure it will still taste good with the gel.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Sorry I havent replied back in a few days. I was on vacation. icon_smile.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:25am
post #13 of 17

Cakesrock, do you mean 50/50 corn syrup and vodka by itself or when you use it in the edible varnish recipe? That cat looks great!!

cakesrock Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:30am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbl3h3ad

Cakesrock, do you mean 50/50 corn syrup and vodka by itself or when you use it in the edible varnish recipe? That cat looks great!!

That wasn't my post, that was metria, so I'm not sure. Maybe PM metria....

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:31am
post #15 of 17

Oh Lord, I must have been tired from making that big ole chocolate cake last night, lol. Sorry, will PM her!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:08am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbl3h3ad

i meant by itself, not in the varnish recipe.

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:10am
post #17 of 17

Ok, thank you so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%