Cake Boards - Covering

Decorating By cupcakeshelley Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm by momma28

cupcakeshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeshelley Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all - I am only starting out and never really covered cake boards before. I have seen a lot of people using wrapping paper to cover their boards - so my question is: - can you just put your sponge cake on top of the wrapping paper or do you have to put something else between the wrapping paper and sponge cake?

I am thinking that putting the sponge directly onto the wrapping paper, is mostly likely going to make the wrapping paper go really wet over time?

Thanks in advance x x

11 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 12

You'd need a barrier between the cake and wrapping paper. Personally I use freezer paper to cover my boards (shiny side up).

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 12

Another thing you can do is cover a cake board in fondant and put ribbon around the edge. Also, either way, you can put your cake on a smaller board that is the same size as your cake (you can buy these at Michaels) and then when you get it frosted you can easilly tape or stick with a bit of Royal Icing the smaller board onto the decorated base and go ahead then and finish the decorating/edging. Hope that helps!

beth1819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1819 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 12

I use white contact paper for my boards. I know it is not specifically "food grade" but it has worked perfectly. I have even been able to use some of the colors for special occasions!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 12

Just curious, why do you have to put something in between the cake and the foil paper you buy. I have heard this and to be honest have never done it. I buy the foil paper from wilton or a wilton distributor so it never dawned on me until a saw a post a couple weeks back. Note: I only make cakes for family.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 12

If you put a cake on a board, you don't need to put anything else. However, you should never put anything that's not "food grade" in contact with your food. Wrapping paper certainly isn't food safe, so that's why you need a barrier.

I put everythign on a cake board, even if I have to custom cut one (which I do, often). I tend to use florist's paper to wrap a board (if I'm not using fondant).

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshelley

I am thinking that putting the sponge directly onto the wrapping paper, is mostly likely going to make the wrapping paper go really wet over time? Thanks in advance x x

Absolutely NEVER put a cake directly on ANY printed paper or contact paper---there is lead in the dyes and it will leach into the cake!!!!!!

At a very minimum, you need a cakeboard under the cake (same size as the cake) before attaching it to the decorative board. If icing will come into contact with the decorative board, you need to cover the colored paper with clear saran/cling wrap, clear contact paper, or place a circle of wax paper or parchment a bit larger than the cake under the cake and allow the border to contact that.

HTH
Rae

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:14am
post #8 of 12

I believe the Wilton foils are food safe, to answer circket0616's question.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:24am
post #9 of 12

Yes, the Wilton Fanci-Foils are food safe.

Most of the other decorative/colored foils are not food safe. The colors in them also have lead in them.

Rae

cupcakeshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeshelley Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks guys for all your advice x

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 12

Here's a link to instructions to make really nice decorative cake boards. And the cellaphane wrap is on sale everywhere-after Easter.
http://sweetslapetite.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-make-decorated-cake-boards.html

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 12

I cut my boards out of 3/4 inch plywood and cover them in fondant to match the cake and then ribbon edge them. I like the way it ties it all together

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%