Baking A Cake

Baking By wallysdee Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm by idgalpal

wallysdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wallysdee Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 7

How do you NOT get the dome effect when baking a cake. I know I can shave that off when it cools but can I do something to stop it from happening during the baking process?
Thanks
Denise

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

Using bake even strips and/or a flower nail/heating core and baking at 325.

wallysdee Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 7

sorry to sound stupid. flowery nail?
Denise

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 7

A flower nail is that metal little disc on a stick used to make buttercream roses. It's included in many decorating tip sets (ie Wilton) and can be purchased at a many cake/craft supply stores.

wallysdee Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 7

ok another question I know exactly what you are talking about flower nail but do i put that in the middle of the batter and bake it on 325 and then pull it out? lol lol Sorry if these are stupid questions. New baker here. lol
Thanks
Denise

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 7

Do you use boxed mix, or do you bake from scratch. When I use box mixes they dome unless I use the baking strips, and when I bake from scratch my cakes tend to rise a little while baking and then in the cooling process they tend to go flat, which is very nice but sometimes I need my cakes to have the dome like with cupcakes. Is there any advice anyone can give me to have my cakes/cupcakes get that nice dome?

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 7

When you transfer the cake to a cake board and invert it, the nail will pop up and you can just pull it the rest of the way out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%