I Hate Number Shaped Cakes!!!!

Decorating By prettycakeoxford Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm by prettycakeoxford

prettycakeoxford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakeoxford Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 9

Oh I have to get something off my chest.... why oh why do people like number cakes? I'm doing one for a customer who's mother is 80 and I think they are so unimaginative. If get to 80 and that is all someone comes up with for a theme for a cake then I think it is pretty sad. A wholelife time of hobbies, interests, personality traits and they ask for a stupid number cake!!
I'm on a campaign to eradicate these stupid cakes.. they are fiddley, not particularly cost effective and oh they make me soooooo cross and grumpy! No more!!! Anyone else feel the same? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

8 replies
ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 9

lol I had to help a friend make a "50" number cake for her FIL. The worst was getting the numbers the same size and having enough servings... what a mess. I could have come up with some thing way more impressive and probably would have been way easier to do also.

I won't be making number cakes again thats for sure.

prettycakeoxford Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 9

LOL!! icon_smile.gif I used a pre shaped tin but they are bottomless so you have to put tin foil around the bottom to stop all the mixture coming out. You can't really line them with paper either so have to grease and flour them so they are fiddley to actually get out the tin. I cannot think of one positive aspect of these stupid cakes, I'm quite creative so I'm sure I could have come up with something more impressive too. I'm glad someone understands!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 9

I carve out my numbers from a rectangular cake, but yeah I hate them too... Covering them with fondant is the worst part! I decided I'm only doing them for 1 or 11 year olds, from now on! lol

prettycakeoxford Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 9

I thought about carving them out of cake but just thought so much would be wasted and time wise it wouldn't make much difference to the overall cost I'd charge.. I just think I'm going to say I'm not going to do them in future, luckily they aren't something that I'm asked to do often but maybe I'll tell my clients I'll rise to the challenge of producing something better than they would have had!

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

I agree!! They are SO boring!!

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 9

I won't do them at all!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 9

just charge triple for a number cake and call it a day! llol

prettycakeoxford Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 9

Yay!! I am so glad I'm not on my own here, boring, boring, boring!! Definitely no more then!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%