Please Please Help Me!

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 12:09pm by Niliquely

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 24

This may take me a few posts as im on my mobile and run out of space quickly. its 3am and im sat in my kitchen crying, iv had enough! i made my first TT the other day, the bottom tier is fine, no sagging and has held up great. but i have tried to make the top tier 3times now, each one is in the bin!! i used the same recipe and method as i did with the bottom tier, but each one collapses in on its self, the bottom of the tier turns to mush....

23 replies
katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:10am
post #2 of 24

Its not even like its leaning on the heavy side, the cake is just disintergrating(sp?) from the bottom! what i dont understand is how the first tier is fine yet i cant get the next to work?! (the bottom is 6" 7" 8" and the top should be 4" 5" 6") i now have a wonky style tier with a hole carved out ready for the top tier (its also decorated) and i dont know what to do. its due sat (was ment to be thurs) i cant use it like this! im so tired...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 24

Maybe you would be better off stacking 3 - 6" cakes and carving them down. That 4" is a small one to do - such a tiny base. It can be done, but it is a lot more difficult, IMO.

katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #4 of 24

And stressed, iv not been sleeping because i want to fix it. i dont charge for my cakes and this is costing me alot of money and time. my kitchen is a mess so i have to clean before i can sleep and iv achived nothing again, i dont even know where im going wrong. also im out of ingredients again. can anyone help with why this keeps happening and how to fix it or any ideas on what to do with this cake to make it look ok?! ill try to add a photo.TIA

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 24

I agree with loucinda, try starting with a bigger cake and carving down. You also might try carving it frozen, and if it defrost stick it back in the freezer to firm up before trying to crumb coat it. So sorry you're so frustrated.

katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Maybe you would be better off stacking 3 - 6" cakes and carving them down. That 4" is a small one to do - such a tiny base. It can be done, but it is a lot more difficult, IMO.

I thought that too, so my last attempt was 6" 6" 7" as i thought that would hold up better. (im not good at carving if they are all the same size, i need a guideline lol) it still turned all mushy. icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif

Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #7 of 24

You are way stessed, and things are always worse when we are tired. Put the cake in the freezer and try to get some rest, even for a couple of hours. Then try it again. It will work much better this way, believe me, I know.

katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

I agree with loucinda, try starting with a bigger cake and carving down. You also might try carving it frozen, and if it defrost stick it back in the freezer to firm up before trying to crumb coat it. So sorry you're so frustrated.

I have been freezing them before carving and then chilling them before crumb coating and covering. i could understand if the first ond didnt work too,im just baffled. thankyou for your help

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #9 of 24

I agree that you need a rest......and you CAN go to bed with the kitchen the way it is. Trust me....I get it! BUT, the world will continue to revolve and all will be okay if you clean it in the morning.

Big hugs to you!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 24

Yes, go to bed, the mess will still be there in the morning icon_smile.gif And if you need guidelines to carve, get a cake circle the size you want the bottom to be. Carve it upside down. Put the cake circle on top and carve down and out. Now go to bed, it will look better in the morning light. {huggs}

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:19am
post #11 of 24

Try using a little sturdier cake. Maybe some poundcake? The 4" tier might be a little too delicate. The 6" may have just enough extra body with two more inches of cake in the batter you are using. So, if just the 4" was out of pond cake, I think you'd be good.

Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:27am
post #12 of 24

Checklist time, I think:
Is it doweled properly?
How is the icing consistency and thickness?
Fondant consistency and thickness?
Are the cakes level? Put on level on it if necessary.
Are you sure the cakes are baked properly?
Are all the cake boards present and sturdy enough?

Anyone else have something to add to the list?

katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:38am
post #13 of 24

iv had a few hours sleep but i still dont know what to do. not been stacked yet as it always flops before stacking so there are no dowels. BC filling and crumb coat are thinly appled but thick consistancy. fondant is about 1/8". They are fully baked all the way through. i have 2nights left, barley any ingrediants and little fondant left. its a mario cake and i just dont know what to do. icon_cry.gif

katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:22am
post #14 of 24

Iv had a thought, please tell me if you think this would work/look ok or not. as im running out of time and cant afford any more mistakes could i bake a 4" but not as tall as the bottom tier, not carve in the sides and just slant the top?! would that look ok with the straight sides?

Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 24

I would think it would be ok.....the bottom tier is carved, so as long as the top tier has some angle to it, it will be fine, IMO. They are still getting a TT cake. I am sorry this is giving you so much trouble.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:03pm
post #16 of 24

I am so sorry you are having such an awful, awful cake time icon_sad.gif

Big (((hugs))) to you.

I am no TT caker, but...do you insert your dowels into each tier BEFORE stacking as you would a normal stacked cake? Are your base boards sturdy enough? Could you try using foamcore for extra rigidity and strength?

I'm sorry I can't be of any real help, but you have my sympathy.

katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

I am so sorry you are having such an awful, awful cake time icon_sad.gif

Big (((hugs))) to you.

I am no TT caker, but...do you insert your dowels into each tier BEFORE stacking as you would a normal stacked cake? Are your base boards sturdy enough? Could you try using foamcore for extra rigidity and strength?

I'm sorry I can't be of any real help, but you have my sympathy.

i was going to use dowel supports before i stacked them the same as with any other stacked cake, but i never manage to get to that stage, the top tier always goes mushy at the bottom before i can put it onto the base tier! thank you all for your help and support! it means alot to me. think im going to go with a 4" with straight sides and a slanted top tonight and hope for the best, please please work!!! tonight is my last chance! i will keep you all updtaed on how it goes! fingers crossed!
thanks again!

Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #18 of 24

Fingers crossed for you here!

katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:08pm
post #19 of 24

Hello again everyone, just wanted to update you all, iv done a 4" and a 5" and carved them. so its alot shorter. it seems to have solved the promblem!! it looks great. just waiting for it to settle so i can crumb coat and cover with fondant. fingers crossed but i think i may be able to serve this cake after all!! sorry but im just so happy! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you all again for your support and kindness, without it i would have given up.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:25pm
post #20 of 24

Woo hoo! My first topsy couldn't be saved. A picture of it is on my computer in a file I shall name, "Some day you'll laugh about this."

Loucinda Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:04am
post #21 of 24

icon_biggrin.gif We knew you could do it!!! thumbs_up.gif

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #22 of 24

I'm so happy for you!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:14am
post #23 of 24

Yay!! Don't forget to post some pics icon_smile.gif

Kudos to you for persisting till you got a good result - very admirable icon_wink.gif

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:09pm
post #24 of 24

I barely carve the sides down anymore - too unstable if I carve away at it! I just do tops and I think it looks okay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%