Advice Sought On A Sculpted Starship Enterprise Cake

Decorating By RandomGoth Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 1:27am by SugarFrosted

RandomGoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomGoth Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys,
Okay so here's the deal my mom is turning 50 in the summer and she is a massive star trek fan.
In a moment of madness I decided that a sculpted 3d enterpise cake would be a great present to make.

My issue is that I'm not sure how to make the saucer section and the nacells (the sticky out bits at the back) light enough so that they can be supported without needing stands to hold them up.

I've noticed talk of cake dowels...would using a few of those inside the main stem up to the saucer section and nacells be strong enough to support the combined weight of fondant and cake?

Regards
RandomGoth

3 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 4

You might have to do the saucer and nacelles out of rice krispie treats. But the body could still be cake.

POST PICS!!!!!

RandomGoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomGoth Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 4

ooh now there's an idea. Thank you. I shall definitely post pictures though it won't be for a while. Party is going to be sometime in July or August.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:27am
post #4 of 4

Others have done this. You can have a look and the read the comments on the pics, and then maybe ask the creators particular questions about the cakes you like
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=starship+enterprise&album=-&search_user=

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%