Things That Make You Go Hmmmm?

Decorating By katnmouse Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 1:51am by ladij153

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

Why is it that the most basic cake pan size (talking reg. store bought pans) is the 9 inch pan, but the basic cake box mixes are really formulated for 8 inch pan size... conspiracy???....hmmmm???

icon_wink.gif

5 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 6

lol...you have the 8 or the 9 in?

I wanna start baking my cakes using the baking sheets... like the girls at Cake Alchemy do... so you always get a 1 in. layer and you can use cake rings to cut to size....

I have the baking sheets but not sure how much batter to add so it raises to an even 1 inch... maybe I need to ask here... lol... I know if anyone has the answer... it's cc!

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 6

I have 9 inch rounds. I'm baking a cocconut cake for my family for tomorrow, and I have to use 2 mixes (4 layers) just to have a decent looking stacked cake. A single cake mix produces about a 1 to 1.5 inch layer per 9 inch pan. A 2 layer cake ends up looking just plain sad. icon_redface.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, it's crazy.

Have you tried the WASC (white almond sour cream) recipes? There are a ton of variations - and 1/2 a batch will make a 4" high 8" cake or a whole batch will make a 4" high 10" cake. I don't remember if there's a coconut version, but here's a link to a doc that has lots of variations.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Here's a link to the thread that discusses them:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614554&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnmouse

Why is it that the most basic cake pan size (talking reg. store bought pans) is the 9 inch pan, but the basic cake box mixes are really formulated for 8 inch pan size...

Brought to you by the same people who can't get the hot dogs and the hot dog buns to match. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnmouse

I have 9 inch rounds. I'm baking a cocconut cake for my family for tomorrow, and I have to use 2 mixes (4 layers) just to have a decent looking stacked cake. A single cake mix produces about a 1 to 1.5 inch layer per 9 inch pan. A 2 layer cake ends up looking just plain sad. icon_redface.gif

Hmmm... so you ended up having to buy twice as much cake mix from them, huh? Hmmmmm.... interesting how that worked out, isn't it? Cha-CHING for them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! A conspiracy!! icon_surprised.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #6 of 6

Indydebi.....you are such a hoot!! I always love reading your posts.....you're usually right too!!! TNX!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%