Coconut Cream Vs Coconut Milk

Baking By TexasSugar Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 5:30am by aarenlainey

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 5

Which is the best to use in a cheese cake recipe to replace the milk? Which has the strongest flavor?

4 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:12am
post #2 of 5

Hi TexasSugar!

This is what I found online it seems to me that the coconut cream would have a stronger coconut flavor.

Coconut milk is made by simmering equal parts water and shredded coconut meat, then squeezing and straining the thick liquid remaining. (Not to be confused with the liquid in the coconut, called coconut juice or coconut cream, which uses the same prepartion as coconut milk but a proportion of 4 parts coconut to 1 part water.) Coconut milk (nahm gkati) is the base of most Thai curries.

Unsweetened coconut cream is made in the same manner as coconut milk, only the ratio is one part water (or milk for a richer product) to four parts coconut.

Do not confuse sweetened cream of coconut (used for desserts and mixed drinks) with unsweetened coconut milk or cream.

Ingredient

Season: available year-round

How to select: Good coconut milk has a clean, white color, rich creamy taste and is mildly sweet with the essence of coconut.

Substitutions: 1 cup low-fat milk + 1/4 tsp coconut extract = 1 cup light coconut milk

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:42am
post #3 of 5

I think I would affect your recipe, because the coconut cream is very thick like... mmm like soft butter, but coconut milk is just like milk. The coconut milk I use is coco lopez (the best!) www.cocolopez.com HTH

Patty*

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 5

I didn't get to use either since my store didn't have them. icon_sad.gif

I used coconut extract with chopped coconut added as well.

Thanks for the information. icon_smile.gif

aarenlainey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aarenlainey Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:30am
post #5 of 5

Coconut milk and coconut cream are ingredients in many Southeast Asian dishes from marinades to stews to desserts.Coconut milk and cream are extracted from mature coconut meat.The meat is ground or grated then squeezed to extract the milk or cream.There is a special machine for grating mature coconut meat in most Asian markets but in places where no such service is available,cooks buy the coconut whole,split the husk at home and grind the meat in the blender.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%