To Freeze Or Not To Freeze?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 4:42am by vanki

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:46am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a 4 tier wedding cake, two grooms cake and a just in case double sheet cake. The wedding is on a Saturday.

I have never froze my cakes, but I am wondering if this would be the best option.

I would probably bake on a week before and then thaw out Wednesday to start stacking and frosting. Cover with fondant on Thursday and start decorating.

Would this work? I have seen on here the best option, is to let totally cool, cover in plastic wrap, then foil. When thawing, leave in both plastic wrap and foil, till totally thawed. Is this right?

I am asking anyone who does freeze, do the cakes taste different? I am planning on moving all my freezer stuff to the deep freeze, then put my cakes in my refrig/freezer.

Any advise, greatly appreciated.

Vicki

6 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:06am
post #2 of 7

I did my first wedding cake last month, and I baked ahead of time and froze the cakes. I let the cakes totally cool, wrap in 3 layers of plastic wrap, 1 layer of foil, and then another layer of plastic wrap over that. I left the cakes totally covered in the plastic wrap and foil until they were thawed. The cakes (all red velvet) were delicious--nice and moist (this cake was for one of my dearest friend's daughter and this was my gift to the bride and the groom). The bride and groom loved the cake and said they received 100 comments saying how beautiful, delicious...In other words, there was no "freezer" taste--it tasted just like a fresh baked cake. I never use to freeze my cakes until I did a 2 tier cake for my DD's birthday (my first one). Since we were having approximately 60 people and it was at our home, I baked ahead of time and froze since there was no way I was going to be able to bake and decorate the cake a few days before the party; again, there was no difference in the way this cake tasted and one I would have baked 2 days ahead of time. As long as the cake is properly wrapped, it will be fine.

HTH

Sheryl

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:19am
post #3 of 7

Sheryl,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will do it exactly how you did yours. Sounds like a load off of my mind. I have been so scared to try this and I think it will work out great for me.

Again, thanks!

Vicki

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 7

I freeze all of my cakes, always have, always will. They are moist and wonderful after they thaw out and I find it's easier to crumb coat if the cake is frozen. So what I do is bake on Wednesday (tho if I had so many cakes to do I would start baking on Monday) make any last minute fondant decorations on Thursday, crumb coat and cover on Friday then deliver on Saturday. I rarely cover on the day I deliver in case something goes wrong and I have to remake the fondant or reice or even rebake for some reason. When I bake the cake I go ahead and torte it then let it fully cool, wrap the layers in press and seal, stack together and then wrap the cakes together then freeze.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 7

I freeze all of my cakes even if I'm going to be using them the next day.

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:41am
post #6 of 7

freezing is a lifesaver!!!! Just make sure they are on a completely flat surface, I have had many lopsided cakes!

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:42am
post #7 of 7

freezing is a lifesaver!!!! Just make sure they are on a completely flat surface, I have had many lopsided cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%