Is It Ok To Put A Fondant Covered Cake In The Fridge?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 12:54am by madgeowens

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 6

What about if the cake box is wrapped saran wrap? Is it ok to have it finished off with the wires and everything? So far I havent had a big problem with cakes sweating here at home. Dont know what will happen outside of here though.

Im worried about the cake im doing. It goes out at 8:30pm tonight. Its yellow with cream cheese. I dont know what to tell her as far as storage until they cut it. (May not possibly be until Saturday. Not sure) Im worried that if they leave it out the cake will shift and mess up due the the cream cheese. If they put it in the fridge, it wont be the same temp as mine and may sweat when they take it out.

Im actually not sure about storage of certain cakes. Buttercream with fillings, etc i put in the fridge. Fondant with strait BC I leave out. What happens when the fillings should be in the fridge but the cake is covered in fondant? Sorry if im being a duh. Still learning.

5 replies
BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 6

Okay, so I watch Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes. They both put their fondant covered cakes in the coolers. (refridgerator) I have not put a fondant covered cake in the fridge, but I understand that if there is condensation, you just let it dry.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 6

Since you have cream cheese you would want to keep it refrigerated. The cream cheese could sour! I've had fondant cakes in the fridge for 2-3 days before and they still seemed OK, at least I didn't get a negative response from the consumer. I've seen on here before that depending on your humidity depends on how the cake holds up. I live in the dryer part of Oregon and have never had humidity problems with my fridge. I've seen a lot of posts that say they don't ever refrigerate a cake because it sweats too much but again I've never had that problem. Maybe you could make a small cake for yourself to test out. Darn you would have to eat cake!!! icon_wink.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 6

Fondant covered cakes are normally fine in the fridge but I would NOT cover the box with plastic wrap. You WANT any moisture to escape. My last cake was in and out of both my fridge and the recipient's fridge for two days (finished Friday, delivered Saturday, party Sunday) and was flawless the day of the party. Just recommend they take it out an hour or two before serving so that any moisture has time to evaporate.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 6

I have the same dilemma coming up. I have made about 6 small cakes to test everything!!
Cake/BC with mousse filling. Left out overnight. Mousse got very soft and cake shifted.
Cake/BC with mousse filling in frig. Cake shifted still.
Cake/BC with cr.cheese filling. Left out overnight. Perfect and tasted fine the next day.
Cake/BC with fondant accents w/cr.chs. filling refrigerated. Perfect, no condensation. Tasted great the next day.

I'm so sick of cake right now, but had to do the experiments.
I also did NOT cover the cakes when in the frig even though some people said to cover it with wrap.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 6

Yes you can

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%