Flavoring Antonia74 Royal Icing

Baking By threematbros Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm by threematbros

threematbros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threematbros Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 7

I appologize in advance if there is a topic on this subject already that I have missed but does anyone add flavoring to Antonia74 Royal Incing? And if so what kind do you like the best?

Also I'm using Khalstead's modified NFSC with cheesecake pudding so what flavoring icing would you try with those?

6 replies
Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7

I just use the recipe off of the meringue powder can, but I do flavor my royal icing by using fruit juices rather than water. I've used orange juice, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and orange/pineapple juice. Some juices give the icing an off-white color but it's nothing that is probably even noticeable to the client. If you color your icing, anyway, it really wouldn't matter. I've received many compliments on my royal icing decorations because they have a much better flavor than the recipe that uses water only.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 7

If it helps, here is a cut and paste on some information I gave on another posting about flavoring RI:

I use Antonia74's RI recipe and I get rave reviews. Her MP has vanilla built in, but here in the U.S. ours does not. For flavoring, I use Spices Etc. all-natural flavorings. When I need white, I use their Clear Vanilla so as to not tint my RI as one would with normal RI(and I can avoid using the fake clear vanilla). I love other flavors of theirs that I have tried: Almond. Lemon, Lime, Orange, Raspberry, Cherry, Tangerine, Pumpkin Pie Spice and Coconut. Oh, the Coconut!! Wonderful! This flavoring is the reason I found the company after Cook's Illustrated rated their all-natural Coconut flavoring the best out of those they tested. I put the flavorings in my RI and sometimes in my dough as well.

If you are want to give them a whirl, they have a first time order discount as follows:

CC9 flat rate shipping of $4.95 for orders within the US only
AKT9 15% for US or international orders (discount taken before shipping costs)

Choose the one code that applies to you or what you want and enter it at the beginning of checkout and then continue on.

The Flat Rate shipping will be the first option for shipping under the billing information and the 15% off will show up when looking at the summary.
If you need it, here is a link to the page on their all-natural flavorings and extracts:

http://www.spicesetc.com/category/Natural-Flavorings/a

All of my cookie friends who have tried them have been very happy with the flavorings.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 7

Any extract is great. I like to use lemon extract in RI or glace, but i've also used others successfully

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 7

lots of us add flavors to RI!

I always use some sort of flavoring... I have a bunch from Spices, Etc. (Thanks, Tracy!) that I use all the time - you really should check out the information that TracyLH posted... I'm so glad I ordered from them! My favorites (other than the clear vanilla) are amaretto, caramel, chocolate, raspberry, and cherry.

Here are a few recent threads on this exact subject that might have some helpful information for you from other people, too.

flavoring icing
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-673675.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669909.html

I

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Any extract is great. I like to use lemon extract in RI or glace, but i've also used others successfully

Just try to keep it alcohol or water-based, not oil-based extracts. icon_smile.gif

threematbros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threematbros Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all very much for the help! I'll have to check out Spices Etc - thanks for the link.

And Antonia thanks for the tip on avoiding oil-based extracts - I would have never thought of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%