Sculpy Clay Roller

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm by kitty122000

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 17

Is on sale at Joanns for a really good price. Does anyone know anything about this particular roller? Good or bad?

To use for fondant and gumpaste!

16 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 17

I have it--the clear acrylic roller, right? It's nice for small pieces, but sometimes things seem to stick to it a bit more. It works for me as a backup if my small Wilton roller is dirty, damp, or missing in action icon_wink.gif

Rae

Lcubed82 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #3 of 17

Actually this is like a pasta machine- metal with a crank handle.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #4 of 17

The clay machine? I have it. Well, I did have it. I loaned it to the college kid for one of her roomies to use for and haven't seen it since. They use it quite often, from what I hear, so it must work well.

Good thing I found a fancy pasta one at Goodwill, huh?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 17

Oh, the metal manual pasta roller/machine...........I have it.

I use it once in awhile when I need to work paste right at the spot where I'm making something, or if I have to travel with a pasta roller.

I prefer the attachments I have for my Kitchen Aid--much, much faster icon_lol.gif

Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:20am
post #6 of 17

i,ve read on here that some wilton teachers use it the class to show students how to roll g/p thinner. and get them on their way to making thinner flower petals, etc. how much is it at joanns. i live close by to one. i will check it out.

Lcubed82 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:34am
post #7 of 17

Reg price is 25, now 10 thru this week.

I have attachments for my KA, but my daughter "borrowed" them! May have to pay her a visit next week!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:48am
post #8 of 17

wow! i will have to go there by this week end. thanks for the info

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:34am
post #9 of 17

I bought one of these back in November. Mine is still in the box icon_redface.gif I bought it because it was on sale for about $15.00 and I had read on cc that some use them. What do you use it for? If I knew that I'd probably take mine out and put it to use. icon_lol.gif Are you able to roll fondant/gumpaste much thinner by using this roller? I bought the metal sheets to go with it. Do I use them as well? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lcubed82 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #10 of 17

Yes, you can roll fondant/gumpaste with this, and work from thicker to thinner in steps, and with even consistency over piece. My understanding is you can get it very thin.
I don't know anything about metal plates.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:42am
post #11 of 17

Thank you. I'm going to give mine a try this weekend. BTW the "metal plates" I thought I'd bought is a feeder tray icon_lol.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gif . It looks like a metal tray so.....I'm still laughing at myself.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

Is on sale at Joanns for a really good price. Does anyone know anything about this particular roller? Good or bad?

To use for fondant and gumpaste!

seriously? They have 50% off cpns out right now, too! think we can combine? if so, sweet!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:51am
post #13 of 17

I bought it on black friday last year, I attempted to use it once and wasn't impressed, my gumpaste got stuck in it so much that I couldn't get a flat uniform peice to come out of it. It very well may have been user error though. I haven't tried again.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:53pm
post #14 of 17

I have one and love it! You can make gumpaste so thin you can almost read through it! The only drawback for me is that it is limited to 6" wide...wish they made it 12" wide - would work better for some of my cake projects. I have the metal plate too. It allows you to work with longer pieces without so much stress on the gumpaste. Be sure to use cornstarch to dust your mat and the gumpaste itself before trying to roll it through. Also your product needs to be thin enough to go through the #1 setting without shredding or getting stuck before you really can work your way through the settings. I stop at about 5 or 6 when rolling out to use in my Cricut.

Hope that helps!

Lcubed82 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 17

Usually you cannot combine a coupon with a sale price.

Ptayner- glad you have success, esp with the Cricut. That's why I am interested in the roller. I figure for 10 bucks, it could be a good place to start!

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #16 of 17

I once purchased the clay roller at Michaels. I needed a pasta roller and came upon this one. I thought, "why not." Well, as soon as I opened the box I knew why not. It had a very strong odor of grease and was not food safe. I put a sheet of gumpaste through it, and it came out slicked with oil. I ended up returning it and buying the real thing.

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 17

for those of you that have had success with this I'd love to know what you mean by a mat and metal plate? is there a special technique to getting the gumpaste through this thing? I just took a piece and rolled it out a little bit and tried to run it through, by itself. It stuck all over the place and made a big mess. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%