Sam's Buttercream

Decorating By hilly Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 6:20am by Katie1985

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 5

Is there anyone who uses the buttercream from Sam's regularly?

Also, how much does it cost you and how does it compare to any other all shortening buttercream recipe?

I'm thinking it may save a ton of time if it tastes good and is easy to work with, the price at my Sam's is $20 for the big tub.

4 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 5

I use it and love it. It crusts perfectly, it is very easy to work with and tastes great too(specially to kids). Sometimes, depending on the cake I may use flavorings in it and it takes them very well. You get it cheaper over there, it costs me $30.00 for the big bucket at my Sam's. I must say that buttercream is not my favorite, I like smbc better, but when the cake design calls for a silky smooth surface Sam's is it for me.

CakesbyCristina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCristina Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 5

I just bought a bucket of the Sam's But-R-Creme last week to give it a try. I usually make all my own icing but after some reading thought it would save a ton of time since I am slammed the next few weeks. I made a test cake and didn't care for the flavor. On the second test cake I "doctored" the icing by adding some flavorings until it tasted less like the big box stores and more like homemade. It is easy to ice and crusts nicely. I even airbrushed the one cake just to see how the consistency held up and the color distributed. Overall I say it is nice if you don't want to be bothered with the fuss of making it, and most people like it. My family and close friends still prefer the homemade buttercream though, but that is because they have had them that way for so long I bet.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 5

Just a follow up, I bought the But-R-Creme, it was $30 here (the bettercreme was less) and it was awful. Tasted like bad canned frosting with a chemical taste. I can't believe they said it was their best seller. thumbsdown.gif No way I'm putting it on one of my cakes.

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:20am
post #5 of 5

i dont shop at sam's, but i went to a birthday party where the cake was ordered from sams and i have to say that i did not like the buttercream on the cake at all. I agree with hilly it had a chemical taste to it. I dont know if this is the same buttercream that is sold in a tub. The buttercream looked great, but it looked much better than it tasted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%