Some Questions

Decorating By Amberly10 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm by mamawrobin

Amberly10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberly10 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:49am
post #1 of 8

I just started decorating cakes recently in the past couple of months. A few things I have questions about.

First, when you have a 2 layer cake how do you put them together? I know that you level both layers, but do you use the bottom of the cake for the top? Do the 2 leveled sides go together? Hope that makes sense.

Also, do you trim the cake edges off of the cakes? I have read that some people do this but not sure it is needed.

When icing the cake how do you get the crisp, clean, sharp edges?

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 8

I put the leveled sides together with buttercream in between. That way I have a very smooth surface for the top of my cake. I have pans that have a straight edge so I don't have to trim the sides of my cakes. Hope this helps.

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, I flip the bottom over so that it becomes my top. That way, it's a nice flat surface (providing you've made sure to have your layers meet up).

I have also seen/heard people that trim the sides, however I have yet to do this. I guess if the edges have become hard or something?

Have fun icon_smile.gif

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 8

I highly recommend you order "Perfecting the art of Buttercream" from SugarEd Productions. She will answer many questions, give a great recipe and help you get beautifully straight sides and smooth buttercream that looks like fondant. Well worth every cent!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine2581

I highly recommend you order "Perfecting the art of Buttercream" from SugarEd Productions. She will answer many questions, give a great recipe and help you get beautifully straight sides and smooth buttercream that looks like fondant. Well worth every cent!

I agree I have been decorating for over 8 years now and I love that video!!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 8

This might help you.... (until you get Sugarshack's Video that is...)

hth

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 8

I only trim the sides of my cakes if they are not even for some reason.......which happens from time to time. Not sure why some come out perfect, and others come out 1/2" smaller..... things that make you go hummmmmmmm.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

I only trim the sides of my cakes if they are not even for some reason.......which happens from time to time. Not sure why some come out perfect, and others come out 1/2" smaller..... things that make you go hummmmmmmm.

I've had that happen once. I baked four 8" layers of the same batter at the same time and one of them ended up shrinking away from the sides to be about a 7" cake. I have a mark on my pans so I know that I fill each one with the same amount of batter so I have never figured out why this happened. I still have that 7" in my freezer icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%