Preserve Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By HappyLadyToo Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 9:51pm by HappyLadyToo

HappyLadyToo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyLadyToo Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 4

Hello, I have an idea I cannot find an answer to. My friend made some beautiful gum paste flowers for my wedding cake and I would like to save them indefinitely. An idea I've had sounds great in theory but I'm wondering if anyone else may have a suggestion. I'm thinking of spraying the flowers with acrylic to prevent them from melting when I set them in clear resin. The resin gets warm and runny and I'm concerned the flowers will melt with the liquid as they are sugar. Has anyone else tried this or does anyone have a better idea? Thanks a million!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 4

Gumpaste flowers will keep for many years as long as they're protected from moisture and dust. To display them, I'd find a glass dome that fit over them and then tuck a couple of dessicant packets (the little pouch that comes in a shoe box or a purse that keeps moisture out) somewhere at the bottom where they wouldn't be seen.

Gumpaste does melt in liquid and I don't think covering them with acrylic would help unless you were sure it was completely sealed and no moisture could reach the gumpaste, which would be hard to be sure of.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:49am
post #3 of 4

My wedding cake flowers are 27 years old. They are kept in a glass cabinet away from direct sunlight and dust .. They get harder and drier with age, so handle gently if you have to touch them ..

HappyLadyToo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyLadyToo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the ideas. I'll have to try plan B and I like the idea of putting them in the sealed glass container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%