Is It Okay To Use Fabric Ribbon On A Cake?

Decorating By Prill Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm by carmijok

Prill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prill Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 16

Are there any downsides to using fabric ribbon? The bride has requested it. Will it sweat and bleed onto the fondant or become greasy looking?

Any tips for application would be appreciated.

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 16

Only fondant ribbon is truly food safe.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 16

I use both real and fondant ribbons. If you use real ribbon, of course put a note in your contract so the bride understands this. I have never had a problem in 20 years of doing cakes and wedding cakes with this issue. Also if you use a backing, EX.ample wax paper strip the size of the ribbon, this will keep your ribbon from becoming oily or dull. Just make sure you cover the whole ribbon size going around the cake. Hope this helps, and Happy Decorating thumbs_up.gif

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 16

I've used regualr ribbon without the wax backing and it got greasy spotty looking

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 16

Have you considered looking at florists ribbon? It is supposed to be more water resistant. I'd also agree leah_s and lisamenz that it would be good to make sure that the bride understands "food safe" and maybe include some wording about it in your contract... (I've lurked on CC enough to know that I trust leah-s's opinion on anything cake related! thumbs_up.gif )

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 16

We used all types of ribbon...even lace...but you MUST back it with a strip of wax paper or it will get spotty. It's easily removed by your caterer when the cake is cut.

Prill Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks for the advice.

Do I just cut regular wax paper and put behind it or is there a product I need to buy?

carmijok Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:40am
post #8 of 16

We cut strips of regular wax paper and attached it to the ribbon with double sided tape. It's time consuming so do it early in the process if possible.
We'd also smear a few dots of fresh buttercream on the cake where the ribbon would go so it would adhere better.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #9 of 16

Never done it, but what if you made a fondant ribbon and then attached the real ribbon to that. That way if you're worried about the real ribbon touching the actual fondant that will be consumed, instead it will be on a barrier ribbon...IDK, just a thought. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lil_Cakehouse

Never done it, but what if you made a fondant ribbon and then attached the real ribbon to that. That way if you're worried about the real ribbon touching the actual fondant that will be consumed, instead it will be on a barrier ribbon...IDK, just a thought. icon_smile.gif

You'd still have to attach the ribbon to the fondant ribbon with either water or buttercream which could bleed through on the ribbon...defeating the purpose. It's easier just to back with wax paper. It's all removed anyway before cutting. icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:08am
post #11 of 16

I read on here, CC...that you can put down wax paper, place the ribbon on top, and use a barrier (towel? etc.) and iron the ribbon, so that the wax comes off on the ribbon.

carmijok Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:43am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

I read on here, CC...that you can put down wax paper, place the ribbon on top, and use a barrier (towel? etc.) and iron the ribbon, so that the wax comes off on the ribbon.

That would certainly be easier! I wonder if there would be a problem with consistency...and would the heat/wax darken the ribbon. Sure beats sticking on with two sided tape if it works well. Think I'll experiment!

happy2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy2bake Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:42am
post #13 of 16

For the practice wedding cake I made last week, I used
Glad Press n' Seal. It is easy to do and is obviously food-safe material. I used a dot of BC icing to adhere at the "back" of the cake.

Prill Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:10pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks everyone!! You guys are the best!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:19pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lil_Cakehouse

This is what I do too and for me is much quicker than cutting the wax paper strips and attaching them to the real ribbon.

carmijok Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bake

For the practice wedding cake I made last week, I used
Glad Press n' Seal. It is easy to do and is obviously food-safe material. I used a dot of BC icing to adhere at the "back" of the cake.

I thought about that too...I love this stuff...it's just so much more expensive than wax paper. However, if the occasion arises where this is an issue I just may use it because it is easy to handle and sticks well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%