Melting Marshmallows For Clouds???

Decorating By lesliem1187 Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 1:19am by lesliem1187

lesliem1187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesliem1187 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 14

OK I am wanting to use marshmallows on top of my daughters birthday cake to look like clouds, I would like them melted together but still want them to retain their shape. Any hints on the best method to try?

13 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 14

I would put them on a greased cookie sheet in little piles then pop in a warm oven (250) and WATCH them - you just want them to melt not turn brown - unless you want storm clouds.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 14

Put them in a glass bowl in microwave on high for ten second intervals until you achieve a slight melt. They will stick together and still be lumpy enough to look like clouds.

Spoon onto wax paper or parchment to let them cool, remove from parchment and place on cake.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 14

Out of curiosity, I did a test in the microwave. I bunched some MM together in cloudish shape on a plate and began microwaving at 10 second intervals. They are now melted together and retained the shape. At this point (after about 4 intervals in my very old microwave), they still resemble marshmallows. I'm not sure whether that is the look you're trying to achieve. Try this out. I tested w/ my small spatula and it could easily be moved from the plate to the top of cake. Another option might be to use marshmallow fluff.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 14

You have to give them a stir. Sorry, I left that out.

Also, it would be beneficial to let them cool because they could melt buttercream, fondant may be alright though.

JenJen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJen28 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 14

How about greasing a plastic icing bag placing the melted MM inside and using a large circle tip to form the clouds. Seems the easiest way to go in my opinion.

lesliem1187 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #7 of 14

thanks for all the suggestions, I'll see what works best and will have a picture up tomorrow of the cake!! I'm so excited!!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 14

looking around in the internet i found the folowing in "SWEET AND SAUCY"

Since the clouds were just too much fun I thought I would show a quick tutorial on how we made them. First roll random size balls of fondant and stick them together with a little dab of water or egg whites. Then roll a thin sheet of fondant and cover the balls. Next sculpt around the balls to form one large cloud. And finally I airbrushed the whole cake with pearl luster dust to give it a shimmer.

I am trying to add picture but it seems that it is not going tru
go to the site so that you can see the clouds.

maybe this will help you for next time, since it seems that you already made your cake. icon_smile.gif

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:09am
post #9 of 14

today, i used cotton candy for clouds on a carved f-16 thunderbird jet cake

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:50am
post #10 of 14

Marshmallow fluff will ooze all over the place. Don't use it!

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks, prterrell, for correcting me on the marshmallow fluff suggestion. I've never used it by itself, so I didn't realize it would ooze so much.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 14

What about using gumpaste and a cloud cookie cutter, then putting them on wire. You could have them above the cake that way...Would luv to see photo of what you end up doing when you're done! icon_smile.gif

JenJen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJen28 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 14

I have seen the clouds on Sweet and Saucy's site and have used that method on one of my cakes for hair on the top of a little lamb's head. It works great and produces a very realistic looking effect!

lesliem1187 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #14 of 14

sorry can't figure out how to attach a picture of the cake but you can search for it. it is titled "Ponyville Castle"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%