Dry Fondant

Baking By mickey169 Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 10:32am by ChoueiriCakeCo

mickey169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey169 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 5

I make marhmallow fondant for my cakes, when I knead it, it's perfect, then after like 5 minutes sometimes it turns super dry, like play dough, what causes this?? It normally happens after color is added to it NEVER before. Does the color dry it out? icon_sad.gif

4 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using gel or paste food coloring?

Gel colors tend to make fondant too wet, so I can only imagine paste coloring may dry the fondant. Try kneading in shortening to help soften the fondant after you've colored it.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 5

You have to keep it covered with plastic wrap. Air dries it out quickly.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:58am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoueiriCakeCo

Are you using gel or paste food coloring?

Gel colors tend to make fondant too wet, so I can only imagine paste coloring may dry the fondant. Try kneading in shortening to help soften the fondant after you've colored it.

icon_confused.gif ??? Gel-paste food coloring is ONE kind of food color. The others are liquid (like at the grocery store) and powdered (which is a dry powder).

Anyway, yeah, you need to keep fondant covered at all times, just like playdough, it dries quickly in the airy.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:32am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

icon_confused.gif ??? Gel-paste food coloring is ONE kind of food color. The others are liquid (like at the grocery store) and powdered (which is a dry powder).

Sorry, that's what I meant icon_redface.gif I only use gel so I wasn't quite sure what the dry ones were called icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%