Help!! Proper Approach For Possible Kitchen Rental

Decorating By shelbycompany Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm by shelbycompany

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 5

Hi!
I currently work in a large commercial kitchen as a baker during the day at a high school. I work from 7-2 M-F. I am in the process of getting a business license and insurance and all of that fun stuff.

I am looking for a kitchen to rent to get my business off the ground and be legal. I wanted to approach my boss and see if I could possibly rent out a space in that kitchen. I know the answer is probably going to be "no" but it dosen't hurt to ask.

I feed high school kids so there is NO competition there or anything. I basically want to use the kitchen when I'm off the clock for my cakes. They are also open on weekends and are very slow. I am the only baker there with my own station so I won't be in anyone's way or anything.

What are some things I can say to my boss to convince her to let me use the kitchen for my cakes?? I've been there for 2 years so I know everyone very well. It's not like I'm some stranger that walked in of the street wanting to use a kitchen. This of course is a side business and I have no intentions on quitting my day job.

Thank you for reading this far and for your help.

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

Is this a private school or a public school? You probably have a better chance of getting a yes if it's private. I doubt that public schools allow this kind of thing for a variety of reasons.

shelbycompany Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #3 of 5

Well, spoke to my boss about this today and she says that as much as she wants to let me do this, she just can't. I understand though.

So my next question is: How do you go about approaching the church for this??

thanks

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 5

I would first write down exactly what you want. What do you need from them, and what are you willing to offer in return? Write a little about your background, and your desire to get your business off the ground legally. Then call the church office and ask for a short meeting with the office manager or person in charge of facilities. Bring your proposal, a few cake pictures and small samples.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

shelbycompany Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Kelley!
That's a good idea. I'll start writing that now and then post to get opinions thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%