Sharper Edges On Fondant?

Decorating By vanki Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 9:51am by Gabriellehb

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:11am
post #1 of 7

How do make sharper edges on my fondant cakes? All of my edges tend to curve. I would love to figure out how to sharpen the edges to make a cleaner look. I have tried many different techniques and cannot quite figure it out. Any tips are greatly appreciated!!!

6 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 7

Make sure your cake is chilled very well after icing it and before applying the fondant.

A lot has to do with the pans you are using too. Magicline is a good brand, Fat Daddios is as well. The Wilton seem to have a built in curve on the edges, so it's tough to get that crisp look.

Gabriellehb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gabriellehb Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 7

The Planet Cake book will tell you how they achieve it, though it is better if you can attend one of their courses to see it done in the flesh.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #4 of 7

Most of the cakes with the really sharp fondant edges have chocolate ganache under the fondant instead of buttercream. That is how planet cake does theres. Would love to take one of there classes but I believe they are in Australia. Had to settle for a book icon_smile.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #5 of 7

All these tips are great....also be sure your fondant isn't too thick, that will cause rounded edges too

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:58am
post #6 of 7

I agree with paulstonia, it is easier to achieve it with ganache under.

I also use two smoothers--which helps.

Gabriellehb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gabriellehb Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:51am
post #7 of 7

The Planet Cake book is very explicit about how to do it. It is not just a case of using ganache under the fondant. The ganache needs to be prepared in a particular way to work. Before the book became available my sugarflower teacher tried to do a cake with ganache and came acropper when it didn't work. This teacher is very experienced having won competitions for years with the qualiy of her stringwork.

But what really gives the sharpe edge is a sort of pinching motion using the smoother and x-ray film. The PC book does picture and describe this, but to really understand it you need someone to show you in the flesh.

I've done a few of their courses now and they are worth selling your grandmother for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%