General Copyright Explaination For Customers...

Business By love2makecakes Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm by love2makecakes

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #31 of 37

I used to work for a woman who really didn't care about the copyright characters. When I told her that the character was illegal she just rolled her eyes at me and said "they really care about little ol' me!!"

It was her business not mine!! She's been doing them for YEARS.

I have read too many stories, I won't touch them.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:54am
post #32 of 37

When a customer pulls the "but they do them" you reply with "well if they don't care about the law then they probably break health department codes you'll never know about too."

They may not get a cake from me and return there but every time they walk into "that" place that "they" do the illegal replications at they will be wondering "I wonder what is lurking that the health department doesn't know about."

Planting that seed of doubt... priceless. icon_twisted.gif

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynlovescake

When a customer pulls the "but they do them" you reply with "well if they don't care about the law then they probably break health department codes you'll never know about too."

They may not get a cake from me and return there but every time they walk into "that" place that "they" do the illegal replications at they will be wondering "I wonder what is lurking that the health department doesn't know about."

Planting that seed of doubt... priceless. icon_twisted.gif

You're hilarious....and sinister. icon_lol.gif

You make a good point. I was thinking along the same lines - I would say "it's not worth it for me to go to jail on an $80 cake. Also, my business is built on integrity and I cannot compromise my values". It's the truth AND it's good public relations without putting down anyone else.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #34 of 37

WOW! I am glad I looked at this thread! I am new to cake decorating and have researched all my local laws, etc, but I never thought about copyright requests. Just so I am clear, I can make a spongebob cake for my 8 y/o son, but he cannot pay for it? Kids get all the breaks! Just kidding, character cakes are ok as long as I don't charge for them. Got it! Thanks again for this info and all the posts.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:59pm
post #35 of 37

Hmmm, lose a sale or lose my home? Decisions, decisions... icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #36 of 37

I always respond in lovely Southern tones, "Ya know I love ya, but I'm not gonna break the law for ya."

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #37 of 37

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

My husband is even one of those "like they will come after little ole you..." I tell him all about my CC folks and the posts that are on here and he just rolls his eyes. I think he is just more concerned about me losing business, not so much as our house. (in his defense, he really does not think they would sue me over a $50 cake) Oh, well. My business, my decision and I am just not doing them.

Oh, and I just lost another client because I wouldn't do the cake they wanted even after I gave them a handful of other options. I guess that is not a client I want anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%