Box Cake Mix

Decorating By elaine Updated 20 Mar 2015 , 4:30pm by -K8memphis

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 6:33pm
post #31 of 36

I think I have to step in and stand up for the scratch bakers.  I can't even imagine why anyone thinks you must study with a professional to learn how to bake from scratch.  I learned in 4H when I was 9 years old.  It's just not rocket surgery . . .

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:00pm
post #32 of 36

I think you just can't beat a cake from scratch. In my eyes they far surpass anything you can get in a box. You also have full control over what the ingredients are. Sometimes the box ones have additives and other junk in there that I don't want in my cake. I have never "doctored" a box cake before so that might enhance the flavor a bit but for me I can usually tell when I'm eating a box cake. Also I think baking cakes from scratch is half the fun! Getting in to the science of what is happening in there and experimenting with different ingredients and amounts to get different textures and tastes, I love all that stuff. But I'm a cake nerd :P To each their own I suppose.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:12pm
post #33 of 36

Good lord, this thread is 10 years old and people still can't let it go.

Everyone is different.  One person's great cake--be it scratch, box, doctored, etc.--is another person's lousy cake. 

Bake what YOU like, how YOU like, in a proper, food safe manner.  If someone else doesn't like it, that's their taste.  We can't satisfy everyone.

I use the above doctored recipe [WASC].  Now that the box mixes have gone from 18.25 oz. to 15.25 oz., I just buy a 3rd box of the mix, measure out 6 oz. of it, and add it in.  The recipe then works just fine.  I seal up the leftover dry mix and use it the next time.

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:20pm
post #34 of 36

I wasn't on CC 10 years ago so it's new to me! I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion and bake with what ever they want :) Didn't mean to hit a nerve with anyone.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 3:18pm
post #35 of 36

Hey cccnomo,   

For the White Almond Sour Cream Cake recipe above,  if you make big cakes instead of cupcakes about what size of cake pans do you use for that recipe? This sounds like it would make several cakes.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 4:30pm
post #36 of 36

Quote by @cccnomo on 22 hours ago

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

2 boxes white cake mix

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

8 egg whites

2 2/3 cups water

4 tbsp vegetable oil

2 cups (16 oz) carton sour cream

2 tsp clear vanilla extract

2 tsp clear almond extract

Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes.  Bake at 325 degrees.  (Think I baked cupcakes for 20 minutes.)

for what it's worth -- i use self rising flour -- k8memphis

this cake is a work horse because it will return to it's former soft but sturdy self after freezing and fridging like it just came out of the oven unlike most cakes that have been made with butter -- so if you use fillings that have to be refrigerated this cake will never let you down --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%