Smoothing Fondant!

Decorating By SCbyWhit Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 12:26am by Evoir

SCbyWhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCbyWhit Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 12

Ok all you professional cake people out there...
I've been working with fondant for the past 2 years and I STILL can't figure out how to avoid these wrinkles (shown below) at the bottom of my cakes.

HOW do I avoid these??? I've tried changing fondant brands, kneading out my fondant enough to reach that nice piable stage but not TOO much, etc etc. It's really frustrating me, and all my reading on it isn't helping.
Thanks!
LL

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 12

Is this occuring immediately or later on after the cake has sat covered for a while?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 12

Hmmm, it looks like elephant skin to me. I find that elevating the cake on top of something small helps. Also, this happens when I work(roll) too long and my fondant tends to dry a bit.

SCbyWhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCbyWhit Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 12

it's definitely happening immediately. it's almost like the fondant just has nowhere to go, so i have to let it bunch up at the bottom. I do have a REALLY bad rolling pin, so rolling it out too long could be the problem. If you have any other suggestions, let me know!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:10am
post #5 of 12

What do you sit your cake on when you put the fondant on? Is it sitting flat on the table or counter? I elevate mine like Rylan said so that the fondant falls away from the cake at the bottom. For instance, if I'm covering an 8 inch cake I will set it on a 6 inch baking pan so that it's not flush with the counter. Hope this makes sense. I'm not very good at explaing things icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 12

I agree - pop your cake tier on a smaller support round (or square) like an upturned baking tin. You can still place that on top of your turntable. I only get the dreaded elephant skin when I have too much fondant folding out at the bottom.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #7 of 12

On my first cake, I got creases because my fondant piece wasn't large enough.
Even though technically it fit and covered the entire cake, there wasn't enough excess at the bottom, which would've allowed for the lifting and smoothing that was necessary.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #8 of 12

This also tends to happen to me when my fondant is too dry. By the time I get to the edges the fondant has already dried and doesn't go on smoothly. You could try softening the fondant (by adding shortening, glycerin, or glucose). Or if the fondant is already on the cake, try rubbing in a little shortening or water on the lines and smooth it out.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #9 of 12

Are you cutting it from both directions? It almost looks like it is getting pinched from both sides. I'm new to cake decorating, but have you tried cutting with a pizza cutter at a 45 degree angle in one direction all the way around? Anyway, just a thought.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 12

When you raise the cake on a platform how do you trim off the bottom edge?

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 12

I find it was much easier to watch youtube tutorials on how to cover a cake in fondant. I think the first instinct is to smooth one section at a time (that's how I got wrinkling on the bottom on my first cakes) but they show you that it's best to smooth from the top then work your way down gradually and very lightly stretching out the fondant on the bottom when when you see creases before you actually use your smoother to smooth the bottom sides.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #12 of 12

Forgot to mention too, when you are elevating the cake on a platform, be careful of the weight of the fondant wanting to tear around the top edge. You do need to support it carefully and work swiftly frm top to bottom.

Pink Lisa - once I have the cake essentially covered I quickly and not neatly cut (knife) just below the bottom edge, then smooth the sides carefully, and finally trim with a sharp knife right on the bottom edge of the cardboard. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%