Help With Support System, 10" Tall Tardis Cake

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 3:47am by Renaejrk

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 7

I'm working on a Tardis cake (looks like a phone booth) and it'll end up being about 10" tall. I'm wondering if I need to put foam core throughout. I was thinking every three inches or so? I've never had a cake this tall that was one solid shape. should I cover the foam core in press'n'seal? is it even necessary to put foam core in it?

TIA

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 7

do just like any stacked tier construction -- cake board every 4" with appropriate internal support.

it's nothing more than a square stacked multi-tier cake where all the tiers are the same size.

oh and if up for the challenge see this tardis cake:
http://www.doitmyself.org/2009/08/tardis-cake.html

and if you google tardis cake -- lots and lots of examples to look at.

(DT < the best Dr., MJ < my fav companion!)

kitty122000 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the response, I looked at that site when Iwas looking for inspiration! that one is crazy and mine wont be nearly as cool. I've got my side panels and roof finished, I just have to ice and stack it before I can put them on. so should I cover the foam core with press'n'seal? the very few stacked cakes I've done before I used cardboard rounds and SPS. I only have round SPS plates so I cant use them! should I dowel it? and if so will one center dowel be enough?
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #4 of 7

could you use sps if you cut the rounds to squares (haven't tried this personally yet)

press and seal wouldn't hurt, but depending upon how long cake will sit, may not really help all that much vs. the "fun" of getting that stuff on and smooth (hates it!)

internal dowel support in place of sps

and yes one central dowel too.

might consider: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1420079.html for more stable base, tho' 10" isn't really all that high -- 2 1/2 tiers.

your work so far is looking good!

(whoot the "new" dr. returns 4/17! on bbcam)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 7

You can definitely use a round SPS plate under a square cake. BakeryCrafts only came out with the square plates about 3 years ago, so for years and years we used round plates under square cakes No problem.

kitty122000 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #6 of 7

the problem is the cake is only 4" by 4" square and the smallest SPS plate I have is a 6" round

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #7 of 7

Doug - Thank you!!!!!!! I hadn't heard when the season was going to start - I have missed the Doctor!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%