Is This Cake Really That Bad............?

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 3:37am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 81

as to get no comments at all??? My last three cakes I pulled out all the stops and I am perplexed as to why no one ever likes my cakes...what am I doing wrong?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1616433

80 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 81

I think the cakes go on the site so fast - a lot of them are missed.

I think you did a nice job - a lot of detail! I bet they loved it!!!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #3 of 81

Madge,
Your cakes are beautiful but I understand your frustration. I get no comments on my cakes either. It seems like mine stay on the home page banner for a nano second while others are on there for a couple of days. Don't understand the rhyme and reason of it all. Maybe people just don't want to take the time to comment on all the pictures - too busy. For what it's worth, I like all your cakes.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 81

I only look at the cakes in the galleries when I'm needing inspiration for something. Which, considering how few cakes I do a year, isn't often. I mostly hang here in the forums. icon_biggrin.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 81

I have almost stopped looking at the cake banner. The pictures are too small and if you click on one to look at it you have to start all over to view them all. But you cake is great!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 81

I seldom get comments either and it makes me sad, but that's how it goes. I thrive on the oohs and ahhs I get in person instead. But, it would still be great to get more accolades from all the talented people here!

Keep it up! You know you've got it!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 81

LKing12, a trick to avoid starting over when you click on a picture. Instead right-click on the picture and select "Open in New Tab" or "open in new window" if you're not runnig IE 7.

That keeps you from having to start over in the ribbon againicon_smile.gif I was thinking about why some cakes get more attention than others. I think if you upload on Monday so is everyone else..because they did so many cakes over the weekend. If you upload on a Wed there is less activity and your pic may stay on the banner longer. I also know that personally I have sooooo many pics in my favorites that I now try not to mark them as favorites and just search the galleries when I need to make a new cake. Your work is great...don't let the lack of comments get you downicon_smile.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #8 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I have almost stopped looking at the cake banner. The pictures are too small and if you click on one to look at it you have to start all over to view them all. But you cake is great!

If you right click on a picture and then click on "open in another window", then you can x out of that and be right where you were. Or you can go to galleries and look at "last uploads".

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 81
Quote:

If you right-click on a photo, then click "Open Link in a New Window", or something to that effect, the photo will open on a separate page, leaving the home page, and whatever section you're up to, intact.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #10 of 81

Hahaha...I guess we posted at nearly the same time, makeminepink!

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #11 of 81

The older I get the more I realize I'm living this life for ME!! Don't care what others think! It's great to get a big pat on the back but don't fret if they don't come.
When I first started doing cakes I was almost addicted to the comments I got from friends. Now a lot of the friends expect the next cake to be great so the comments slowly fade away. I've slowly learned that if I feel good about the cake before someone see's it then I feel great! I don't need the praises anymore.
Honestly this site has helped me with this!! My first cakes had way more comments and really weren't as good as the one's I can do now. But, the volume of people on cake central has went up like crazy and there are so many people downloading pics all the time that I think a lot are missed by everyone. I also think since they changed the main home page format for viewing cakes they have lessened the amount you see up front.
I also usually only see cakes when I'm specifically search for an idea.
Head up!!! You've got better things to worry about, like that next great cake!!!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #12 of 81

I know what you mean about the comments. I too get few comment on cakes I think came out pretty good. You cake is great. I'm sure the recipient was thrilled.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #13 of 81

Thanks for the tip about the right click-that does help. I still don't like the small size of the pictures.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #14 of 81

This cake looks great and the birthday child was thrilled with it. That's all that matters. Who cares what strangers on the internet think? You just made a little girl's birthday special.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #15 of 81

there used to be a gallery supporter group which tried to comment on all the cakes but I guess it was disbanded.

Believe it or not, then we got complaints that the comments weren't "sincere" enough. guess sometimes you can't win.

sorry you were overlooked. Happens to everyone sometimes.

cheer up. your cake was stunning and done for a worthy cause sp give yourself a pat on the back.

icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #16 of 81

I just posted a similar thread..... lol No, your cake is terrific. I love movies, we collect them (2400 and counting), so that always get to my heart. But you did a wonderful job on this cake.

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #17 of 81

I was making whimpers (to myself) about lack of comments last week. That's about when I realized that I cruse the forums and only occasionally look through the galleries. I also realized that I never left comments unless a cake really wowed me.

If *I* don't leave comments, how can I complain about no one leaving me a comment. Now when I get online I spend a few minutes browsing whatever gallery section strikes my fancy (I felt like purple today) and try to find at least 5 cakes I like and comment on them. Each comment is sincere and I choose at least one aspect of the cake that I liked instead of just saying "good job". It may not get me anymore comments, but it makes me feel better that someone else is going to get a comment that means something and will hopefully make them happy.

I have 6 cakes, 2 with 1 fav each, and 2 with 2 comments each. Sometimes you just don't get comments even if a lot of people have seen your cake. Hope that makes you feel a bit better. Keep on Caking!

madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #18 of 81

Thank you, all of you, that helps. I know your right, but its always nice to hear from people who are doing the same thing I guess. I thought maybe my cakes were not very good and I was just not seeing it. You know people you know just say nice things haha...but your right, the kids that get these cakes are thrilled so fooey on the rest haha...I will try and not worry about it anymore.mmThat tip about right clicking is great!!!

madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #19 of 81

OMG I sure got the comments now hahaha thanks soooooooo much

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #20 of 81

Alot of my cakes I really liked have seemed "overlooked" but I'm really doing it for my customers...not Cake Central. Any comments and ratings here are a bonus. thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #21 of 81

Yes you are absolutely right. I guess maybe its because I see other cakes that I think are not as good haha and they get rave reviews, so it was really making me think I stink and don't know it lol..............thanks for your help

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:29am
post #22 of 81

Your cakes are amazing and very detailed thumbs_up.gif , that takes talent. I'm pretty much a cookie person, so I don't get on the cake galleries much, but I do believe the amount of comments that a picture gets is all about timing. I don't always have time to get on the galleries so I tend to just see the most recent pictures posted. I'm sure this happens with a lot of people and I totally understand where you're coming from. You put in all that time and effort and hope someone recognizes it. WE DO, nice job on the gum paste roses too thumbs_up.gif

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:32am
post #23 of 81

Your cakes are wonderful, Madge! And the movie cake is fantastic. I have felt the same way lately, about very minimal or no responses on my cakes...some that I thought were pretty terrific. Although we get good feedback from customers, it's always nice to know that other cake decorators like our work or can suggest positive feedback in some way. I know that I will try and do better at responding more often on other people's work. Keep up the great work!!

madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #24 of 81

geeze you guys made me tear up.....thanks so much...I feel better to know I am not alone in this feeling.........thanks again

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:15am
post #25 of 81

You are not alone Madge dear! icon_smile.gif We all like to get feedback on our cakes...me included. icon_lol.gif It is nice to know that our hard work is appreciated by our cake decorating peers. icon_smile.gif

The number of uploads is increasing daily. If you want to see all the cakes uploaded just over the weekend, you need to go down about 50 pages or more on the new uploads! It's just amazing how CC has grown and with that volume, cakes do get lost in the crowd. I look through them all each day so I don't miss any. Like many people said, they come here looking for cake ideas and don't always have the time to just browse or leave comments. I agree that it is so nice to leave comments when you can. Everyone can use a smile or a kind word. You can make someone's day!

One secret to receiving comments is giving them. I like to leave as many comments as I can when I have the time. I like to let people know when I appreciate their design or color choices or techniques. I often get comments in return, even on cakes that I've had posted for years.

For those of you looking to leave comments, try some of the recent contest galleries. Many of those cake have no comments since the comments are locked until after the contest is over.

Don't lose heart. You make beautiful cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:45am
post #26 of 81

Thank you, and I will try not to let it bug me...icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:01am
post #27 of 81
Quote:

That is exactly why I don't comment on more pictures it really burns up time trying to get back to where you were. Is there a better way to look at the photos?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:03am
post #28 of 81

I've seen some beautiful cakes on cc with no comments and maybe only one or two favorites. There are so many uploads that I can't keep up anymore icon_lol.gif . But Madge your cake is great. A couple of my cakes are favorites to several but very few comments on either one. It's just easier to save to favorites w/o leaving a comment. I'm guilty of that myself icon_redface.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:05am
post #29 of 81

Madge i love the movie cake, well done.

madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:07am
post #30 of 81

boy, I sure know how to get praise icon_smile.gif lol.........you guys are awesome..thanks soooooo much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%