Topsy Turvy Without Wedges Or Cut Out Method?

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I am planning a topsy turvy cake for a 30th birthday for approx 70 people, so I am thinking 3 tier. I have done both methods with wedges and the cut out. However, I came across a couple of tutorials online that don't use either. They angle the tops of the cake, insert bubble tea straws and cut them level with the angle of the cake, put on some melted chocolate and place the next tier, let it set up and then dowel through both cakes into the base board and continue to do the same process for each tier.

Has anyone done this? And have any pics of finished cakes? I am wondering about how much of an angle you can get away with without gravity starting to come into play.

TIA

7 replies
mrswendel Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 8

anyone?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't heard of this method. Where can I find it online? I would love to check it out. It sounds like it may be a little easier than carving. Maybe?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 8

geraldine randlesom and the whimsical bakehouse does this way. if you geraldine shows this several times in past american cake dec. mazaine. it might be on her site. creative cutters . com then the whimsical bake house has it in the book. hth

cnhiatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnhiatt Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 8

I tried something similar and mine fell over. However, I don't know if it was the method or something else (cakes not dense enough, not enough dowels, etc.) I'm too scared to try it again though.

mrswendel Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for the reply. It definitely sounds easier than the carving. Here is one of the links....it has sketches if you scroll down the page.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/116859-demo-mad-hatter-or-slanted-cake/

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this method and what they thought.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 8

This mehod scares me. I would be afraid that it would fall.

mrswendel Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 8

Me too! I just hate cutting the wedges cause I can never seem to get them at the exact right angle and the cut out method hasn't always worked that well ( I seem to have issues with the tall side of the cake wanting to blow out). But this just seems that gravity would win!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%