New Position At Work

Lounge By d3sc3n7 Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 2:44am by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:44am
post #1 of 10

Well, for the back story....I'm an army cook. I do side work in specialty cakes, as some of you may have seen around here.

Well, the people I work with know what I do. So I've been moved to whats called "night baker" Man oh man! Its a job I've been wanting for a while now, however its quite the work load. The stuff we put out isnt fancy by any means...its quantity, quantity, quantity.

Tonight I went in at 6pm and got off about 330am. Though I didnt really get to start until 8pm.

The total run for the night?

1200 Muffins
17 Sheet cakes

That will get them through today. Back in tonight, to do it all over again!!

Well, on the upside I do get total freedom on what type of cake/muffin I make. The old guy got fired because he was putting out very sub-standard products. So, I kinda lucked into the job, because someone wanted to be lazy.

Just to mention, I am at least working with a 6ft combi-oven and a rather large mixer.

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 10

Congrats on the new position! Have fun with it, and I am sure the folks that get to eat the products will be glad to have you there for sure! icon_biggrin.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 10

Congrats!!

d3sc3n7 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks guys, I do enjoy it. I'm hoping things change, because the people who get them are quick to complain when things are bad, but have no problem staying quiet when they are good. Oh well...they are good when I "test" them icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 10

Congratulations!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #6 of 10

Congratulations!

Your description reminds me of doing the baking for a LARGE college dormitory. Ever made Rice Krispy Treats for 800? I have. (You need to make way more than 800 servings, or you get lots of complaints from the students who didn't get any.)

Kellpepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellpepper Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #7 of 10

I love my walk in oven and 2 60qt mixers. lol

I manage the food service department of a mens prison. While I dont do the work myself we do feed 1000 Offenders 3 meals a day for $2.44.

Making our our bread and cakes is they only way we can meet that price.

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:19am
post #8 of 10

Tonight: 1300 Muffins, 21 Sheet Cakes

I really do enjoy it though. Yeah, its a ton of work, and rather stressful. I never think were going to make it on time, yet we always seem too. I am glad that the work load is about to slow down alot. That will give me alot more freedom to play around with what I am making.

In this kind of position, you have to show out to keep your job. There are 20 guys knocking on the door wanting your position.

d3sc3n7 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:05am
post #9 of 10

Tonight's update:

2000 Cookies, had a helper to make tonights cakes.

Lucky though...I was given tomorrow (tonight?!) off...and its a 4 day weekend, so that gives me a 5 day weekend!

d3sc3n7 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #10 of 10

Update, went in early today to be ready for tomorrow. Ah I love when life is simple. 4 cakes, some cookies, prep biscuits, and some cheesecakes. (Double chocolate strawberry cheesecake that is)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%