Diy Copper Cookie Cutter Tutorial

Baking By antonia74 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 4:28am by nesweetcake

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 31

Just came across this how-to on a blog I like. Ooooooooh, the possibilities!!! icon_lol.gif

http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/2010/03/cookie-cutter-101.html

thumbs_up.gif

30 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 31

Thanks for the link, it is great, I bookmarked the instructions, the site to get the copper and the crop-a-dile..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019K3QD8/?tag=cakecentral-20

http://www.basiccopper.com/prgrcocucost.html

Thanks again, you are always a great help thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 31

Thanks for adding those links, that's cool! thumbs_up.gif

linedancer Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 31

You are welcome.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 31

Oooooh!! I can't wait to try this!! I have so many cookie ideas floating around in my head that it would cost waaaaay to much to have them all done in custom cutters. Thanks for posting these links!! icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 31

All Hail Antonia74!!! Whoo hoo! party.gif And a BIG thanks to you Linedancer for posting the links. thumbs_up.gif I make mine out of foodgrade stainless steel and I am going to study this to see if I can use the croc-o-dile to secure mine. At quick glance it looks great.

i am going to look over this more later. Thanks [u]so[/u] very much!! party.gifparty.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #7 of 31

Thank you guys so much. I cannot wait to try this. I've been pretty much sticking to what's available in already made cookie cutters.

Yikes! Just checked out the copper. Is it really that expensive? I figure 2 4 inch cookies could be made with the 10 inch coil. That would be about $15 a cutter. Is that standard?

TracyLH Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

I figure 2 4 inch cookies could be made with the 10 inch coil.

Unless my eyes are going out on me from too much cookie-ing, I think it is 10 feet. A much better price. icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #9 of 31

This is what it says...."Cookie Cutter Copper Strips -10' Roll"
Doesnt' that mean inches?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:41am
post #10 of 31

10 feet long, one inch thick roll. That's how most coppers and other metal flashings are sold -- in rolls of feet not inches.

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:41am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

This is what it says...."Cookie Cutter Copper Strips -10' Roll"
Doesnt' that mean inches?

Easy trick I learned when I was liittle... (') is feet. 1 syllable in the word "feet" so only one tick mark... ('') is inches. 2 syllables in the word "inches" so 2 tick marks.

I teach it to my kids at work to. helps.

TracyLH Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #12 of 31

' is feet
" is inches

icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #13 of 31

Oh, you two are quick! I saw the question, read it, pushed submit had you were already on it.

icon_lol.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #14 of 31

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Well, that certainly makes a huge difference! Is it assumed that it's 10 feet or is there somewhere it says that i missed? I'm so happy to hear that.

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:57am
post #15 of 31

You guys ARE quick. I pressed submit and you already answered my question before it showed up. Ok, i never knew one tic is feet. Ya learn somethin' new every day. Now i'm even more excited!! Thank you so much for your help.

linedancer Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:18pm
post #16 of 31

TracyLH I am sure you have posted the link for where you purchase your stainless steel material before, but I did not pick it up. Could you post it again?

Thanks

TracyLH Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #17 of 31

Sure! icon_biggrin.gif Happy to help! I am actually working a on a cutter today.

I just called Joe at Speedy and I have some new info, but I will start at the beginning.

To start, I currently use 26 guage food grade stainless steel that I get from Joe.at Speedy Metals. (1-866-938-6061). If you call, tell him that you are from The Cookie Network. (This is just what he calls us cookiers.) After I posted the information last time, he has had several people call to order and several repeat customers as well, so this seems to be working out.

It has been a while since I spoke to him as I placed a large order and am still working through it, but I now have a variety of info/points to share and some new info as well after just speaking to him:

1) I have had good results with the 26 guage SS, but I do not feel that you are not going to get the easy bends that you see that she does with the copper for her shamrock. Copper is more malleable. That is the nature of it. What I have been using is thicker. I would be likely be hard pressed to get that bend on the bottom of the shamrock. Joe cannot get a thinner SS than the 26 guage that I am currently using. I also do not think that the tool she uses to make the holes will work due to how thick it is.

My 1 x 48 strips come to $1.02 per strip plus shipping. Substantially cheaper than copper at 10 feet for $31 plus shipping. 10 feet in SS would be $2.60.

2) I did do a lot of research on this topic and another option I had looked at is to use food safe aluminum. I know that you will get good bends with it as I have seen cutters made with it. I have found it here:

http://www.foosecookiecutters.com/store/cutterkits/index.html

You can get 2 strips 1 of 72 X 1 and (1) of 72 x ½ for $16.95 plus shipping.

I checked and their aluminum is normal aluminum and will rust if not thoroughly dried, so it has not been treated in any way to make it non-rusting. Also, it is not as sturdy as the SS I use. However, it is an option, but

I just called Joe and he is going to send me a sample of aluminum to try with the thoughts of trying something a bit more bendable, bearing in mind that aluminum will rust whereas I do not have that problem with my SS. I do already have a variety of aluminum cutters and to prevent rusting, after I wash them, I pop them in an oven to completely dry and (try not to laugh) put them in Ziploc bags to protect them from humidity (i.e. moisture that would cause rusting). The aluminum (if it works out) will be more malleable and would be $,77 per 1 X 48 strip. Even cheaper than the SS, but again, more bendable, but not as sturdy and rusting can be an issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not at all the same thing as aluminum flashing that you find at the hardware store. That has been treated with chemicals and oil that make it not at all food-safe, not matter how much you wash it. I called the companies directly and did a lot of research on it, so please do not think it is the same as it is not at all.

I will try the sample of the aluminum and post here what I think in comparison to the 26 guage SS for bendablity. I can see staying with my SS for most shapes as it is so durable and maybe doing the more malleable aluminum for highly intricate shapes.

I will let you know what I think within the week. This thinner option may work with the tool she uses to make the holes to insert the rivets. Again, a brilliant idea. Again many thank you's to Antonia74 for sharing that.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 31

wow Tracy - thanks for sharing all of that (and doing all of that research!)!!!

TracyLH Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #19 of 31

No problem! icon_smile.gif I am a researcher by nature and as it took some time to do all of this, I thought I would save my cookie friends the trouble and pass it on. I hope that it helps someone. Look at how much Antonia74 and Linedancer already helped us. thumbs_up.gif Heavens, I wouldn't even be cookie-ing like I am if it had not been for Antonia74 sharing her wonderful RI recipe. My RI'ing was too frustrating before I tried her recipe. Again, she helps us by posting this great rivet idea. I had never heard of it before and it looks like a great solution. Obviously the copper works quite well. I am just covering all bases as I tend to make quite a few cutters and need to watch my costs. Again, I will post on here once I try the aluminum and compare it.

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #20 of 31

Wow! That's a load of info! Thank you so much Tracy. It is truly kind of all of you to share your ideas, recipes and research. I love this forum.

staceycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceycake Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #21 of 31

Tracy, thank you so much for your detailed response. What a treasure full of information you shared!! Thanks for being so generous in sharing all of your knowledge.

antonia74 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #22 of 31

thumbs_up.gif Thanks Tracy, amazing info!! thumbs_up.gif

linedancer Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #23 of 31

Thanks, Tracy, you went above and beyond the call of duty. thumbs_up.gif Think I will wait to see what your results are before ordering anything

TracyLH Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:14pm
post #24 of 31

Sounds good!

I forgot to add that I lightly file the edges of the strips where it was sheared before I form the cutter. Also, I lay a piece one of those little silicon mats (like a jar opener or a how-to-get-the-garlic-skin-off-of-your-garlic mats) on top if I have several to do as it can be hard on the pressing hand. One of these days I will need to do a blog as I have a ton of ideas to share.

luv2bake6 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #25 of 31

I cannot wait!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #26 of 31

Thanks for all the great info! You all are great. If you are looking for the crop a dile....My local Walmart just had them on clearance for around $25 if I remember correctly.

Another question on making cutters. Does anyone know where you can get the 3M VHB tape that comes in some cookie making kits? I tried working with 3M via e-mail..... what a run around. I need to start over with a new rep and see where I can get from there. It's a bit pricey to re-order from kit companies. I ordered some of the stainless that TracyLH recommended. It worked great. I had a dab of tape left over from an old cutter making kit that I was given as a sample. It worked well and was fast. Perhaps someone has already researched this avenue and would be willing to share their results.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #27 of 31

Making my own cookie cutters would be FABULOUS!!!!! There are so many times I think of a cutter and have to settle because I can't find what I'm envisioning! I see a whole line of custom custom cooking in my future! Thank you Antonia & Tracy and everyone else who is sharing!!!!

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #28 of 31

nesweetcake-- Uline has the 3M VHB tape you need, 60 yds. for $26.00. Hope this helps.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:36pm
post #29 of 31

Thanks Kimsmom! I think that would do me for a long time!

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:28am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesweetcake

Thanks Kimsmom! I think that would do me for a long time!

Sorry about my brain freeze. I was focused on the price per yard, not the fact that 60 yards is way too much when only using an inch at a time. I don't need to make over 2000 cookie cutters.

Back to the original post, if anyone has tried this yet, what size rivet is best for securing a cookie cutter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%