Is This Ok For A Wedding Cake Sketch??

Business By Bel_Anne Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 2:41am by jenmat

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:22am
post #1 of 19

I just drew it freehand with a charcoal stick and added colour with Paint on the computer (haha). It's supposed to be ivory fondant, with 'late' fondant ribbon, edible pearls (that's the what the circles are, haha) and large roses.

I've drawn it for my first proper client according to her ideas. Is the messiness Ok? Do the colours have to match in a sketch?? Thanks!
LL

18 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:29am
post #2 of 19

It looks great, very artistic and fun, and your roses are lovely too. I noticed you even shaded them...you must have some kind of art background or you're a natural talent!

Bel_Anne Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:41am
post #3 of 19

Oh good! Haha. First things are always stressful. I'm a bit arty farty but never had any art classes or anything (since highschool). But yeah, I love to draw etc.. Thanks!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:47am
post #4 of 19

Great sketch! I like to sketch out cakes before making them so that I have a visual hard copy. I have a binder with cake sketches that I want to eventually make. Your sketches are awesome! Mine are just black and white.....I like your use of color.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 19

Bel Anne
If I could shetch like you people would understand what the concept I am explaining really looks like. My 6 year old can draw better than me if you want me to be honest. LOL. Your sketch looks very professional and I instantly understood the whole vision without your written explanation. Beautiful design.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 19

Nice job. Looks like a great cake.

Quote:
Quote:

"Do the colors have to match in a sketch?? Thanks!"

yes that drawing is what the client is approving unless a difference of color is discussed.

***You might find it helpful to get a painters color chart flip book thing and then you can write a note on the drawing of the actual colors the client chooses... so then later in different lighting, when you are making the cake you have a clear visual representation of the colors the bride wants.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 19

It looks great to me! I'd be more impressed with a decorator who could sketch my design well than someone who could paint a portrait of it. I sketched a wedding cake I did in Nov and the bride and her mother got so excited and were soo impressed. They left knowing they were going to love the cake. I laughed after I got in my car because I'm not good at drawing. But I can put ideas down on paper quickly, and that's what made the impression. Works well for me!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 19

Oh, that's waaaay better than what I draw. I totally draw stick cakes.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 19

Fantastic... I--like Leah--make the crappiest stick figure cake sketches, but they gets\\ my ideas across. A sketch is just a guideline, not a life drawing. The colors int he sketch should be in the ballpark of what the client wants, but, again, will not be a true-to-life representation. If they are asking you to match (as best you can) specific colors, be sure to get fabric swatches, ribbon samples, an invitation or something like that to match your actual colors to, because one person's "warm cocoa" is another person's "chestnut."

Bel_Anne Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks for all the replies. The colours are Ivory and 'late'. The bride knows what ivory looks like... but using paint on the computer they dont' really have that colour, haha. I just told her that this was more of way for her to see the proportions of the cake/flowers etc. Seeing that she designed this herself... and that the colours weren't accurate, but the closest I could get on the comp. Might just stick to a rough sketch with coloured pencils next time!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 19

I use Photoshop when I sketch out a cake, and I've never heard of the color "late" do you mean "latte" as in coffee?

I use Firefox on my computer and they have an add-on that is called "colorzilla." It allows you to select a color on a webpage and get the RBG color code for it. If you go to places like David's Bridal you can use their color samples to match up colors if you like to do sketches in paint or Photoshop or similar program.

I also use this program when I'm matching up colors for stationery designs. I've had several people want "John Deere green" for a birthday invitation and using "colorzilla" is a lifesaver for that. I'd be playing with a million shades of green before I ever got it right. icon_smile.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 19

Your sketch looks great! The roses are very well drawn. I also draw my cakes out too. I just print out premade cake images from Illustrator in 20% grayscale (So I dont have to draw the cake bases), ink the drawing, and color in with copic markers.

Bel_Anne Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 19

Haha, yes I do mean 'latte'. Since having babies my spelling's deteriorated. Plus I don't drink coffee! Haha.

I'll have to have a squiz at a few diff photo shop programs etc. I think drawing it is prob easier... but sometimes if you want to add bulk colour quickly it's better on the comp.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 19

I was just curious. Based on your drawing, I thought that is what you meant. icon_smile.gif I have full blown "pregnancy brain." I forget everything! icon_smile.gif

4brod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4brod Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #15 of 19

YES and Yes! It is a great drawing!!!

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #16 of 19

i love it too icon_smile.gif i'm not very good at drawing myself, but its great to get your ideas out on paper. I always end up changing something in the end though icon_wink.gif

kensoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kensoven Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 19

That's a great drawing! I do not think the colors need to match as long as the customer is aware of it icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

I use Photoshop when I sketch out a cake, and I've never heard of the color "late" do you mean "latte" as in coffee?

I use Firefox on my computer and they have an add-on that is called "colorzilla." It allows you to select a color on a webpage and get the RBG color code for it. If you go to places like David's Bridal you can use their color samples to match up colors if you like to do sketches in paint or Photoshop or similar program.

I also use this program when I'm matching up colors for stationery designs. I've had several people want "John Deere green" for a birthday invitation and using "colorzilla" is a lifesaver for that. I'd be playing with a million shades of green before I ever got it right. icon_smile.gif

no wayyyy...I'm SO downloading that..

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:41am
post #19 of 19

stick cakes. I love it. That's me too. Its always funny to draw a stick cake at a consult and them explain to the couple that my artistic ability extends to sugar only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%