Can I Replace Soy Milk For Regular Milk To = Dairy Free?

Baking By Roxybc Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm by rainbow_kisses

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 11

I've had a request to make 60 cupcakes, but they need to be dairy free. That means, no butter in the buttercream icing, and no milk in the batter. The cupcake recipe I use normally calls for milk and oil as the liquids, so do you think it would be ok if I just substituted soy milk for the regular milk? I've never used or even tasted soy milk before, so not sure if it will effect the flavor of the finished product. Also, if anyone else has any really good dairy free recipes from scratch that they're willing to share or tips it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oh, and for the buttercream, I was going to use a combination of sunflower oil spread and a UK version of Crisco, which is basically solid vegetable shortening. Will this turn out ok?

Thanks!

10 replies
OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 11

The vegetable oil spread sounds gross, but I've never tried it so I'm imagining it as regular margarine here in the States. When I can't use butter, I use straight vegetable shortening and imitation butter flavor - I'd obviously prefer butter, but sometimes it's not possible.

As for the milk, I only use soy milk in my baking since I'm lactose intolerant and that's all I have on hand and it turns out fine for me.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 11

Be careful and ask the recipient if they can have soy milk first. I make a cake for a little boy that can't have dairy or soy. I use rice milk instead. As for the frosting, I just use Crisco (vegtable shortening), powder sugar and flavorings.
Good luck

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

The vegetable oil spread sounds gross, but I've never tried it so I'm imagining it as regular margarine here in the States. When I can't use butter, I use straight vegetable shortening and imitation butter flavor - I'd obviously prefer butter, but sometimes it's not possible.

Well, we don't have Crisco here in the UK - instead we have something called Trex, but it's a very different texture than Crisco, it's mroe solid and is kept in the fridge. I was planning on only using the Trex because I have made buttercream with Crisco before, but someone on annother site told me I had to mix it with margarine to help stabalize it. As for the sunflower oil spread, I've never even tried it, but it's what the client told me she uses at home instead of butter.

JenJen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJen28 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 11

My son cannot have dairy and I have made all kinds of cakes, cookies, brownies with soy milk. I think it makes the taste much creamier and adds a little sweetness if you use the vanilla flavor! I have also found ways to substitute for butter by running a goggle search for whatever recipe I am looking for with the addition of non-dairy or dairy free in the title!. I agree also with asking what kind of milk the recipient uses. That might help with your decision!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 11

I would also ask before using the butter flavoring. I too generally only use vegetable shortening.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 11

My nephew is allergic to dairy and soy. I have used the recipes in "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" with good success.

I use rice milk as a substitute and either Fleishmann's or Blue Bonnet Light.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 11

I've substituted lots of things for the milk in cake recipes: nectars, juices, coconut milk... One of my recipes even calls for 7-Up as the liquid! (And that one uses oil as the fat, so no dairy at all.)

You can make lots of good cake recipes without milk or butter. The frosting is the thing that might be harder to achieve, dairy-free. I do have one fondant recipe that does not call for any dairy, so I guess I'd probably go that direction.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 11

If you are still looking for dairy free cupcake recipes and frosting PM me and I will send you some as this is what I specialize in as I am not allowed dairy or egg

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 11

Scrummymummy..... your avatar is absolutely hilarious.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 11

Why thankyou kind KarmaStew icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%