Sheet Cake???

Decorating By dacash Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 10:43pm by Rose_N_Crantz

dacash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dacash Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!! I am able to do lots of different kinds of cakes. The problem is, I have someone requesting a sheet cake for graduation (like the kind you would get at a supermarket or the ones you sometimes see on the cake table at a wedding beside the the actual wedding cake). Sounds simple enough, right?? Well I have never had to make a sheet cake before. I need help. What pan do you even use for a sheet cake? Any good recipes? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

5 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

i use a 9 x 13 for up to 20 people, 11 x 18 pan for up to 40 people and a 12 x 18 pan for 40-50 people. I would use the WASC recipe to keep it simple. You can use almost the whole recipe in the 11 x 18 and the whole recipe (2 cake mixes) in the 12 x 18 pan. Use a 1/2 recipe for the 9 x 13. It won't fail you and people will love it. Do a search on sheetcakes in the gallery. a CC'er named CAKERY has some really awesome designs (amongst many others) but i use her for inspriration a lot.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 6

Sheet cake: A single layer, non-filled rectangle or sometimes square cake. How many people are they needing to feed?

11x15 serves 35 (2x2x2" industry standard serving)
12x18 serves 50 (2x2x2" industry standard serving)

Same cake batter as with any other cake.

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 6

Sheet cake: what Walmart makes. Refer 'em on over.

dacash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dacash Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it. You would think that a sheet cake would be a no-brainer.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 6

I actually have the hardest times with sheet cakes, decoration wise. Baking a frosting, no problem. I could frost a sheet cake in my sleep. I have no problem decorating a round cake, heart shaped, stacked, whatever. But give me a plain rectangle and all of a sudden I go blank.

I think Than Than has some gorgeous sheet cakes as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%