Gown Of Sitting Bride

Decorating By bobhope Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm by bobhope

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 11

hi everyone! i've searched for tutorials for 2 days now on how to do the gown of a bride SITTING on the edge of cake but haven't been lucky..i've searched you tube, googled & even tried links rylan has posted but came up w/ nothing..i want to know how it's done (aine's bride's gowns are just awesome), the gown so smoothly draped on the figure's body..i have no problem w/ standing bride but w/ the sitting position i just can't seem to make my fondant/gumpaste lay smoothly on my bride...i already have the body/bodice & neck, & earlier tried draping the gown/skirt part but i wasn't happy w/ the result so i took it out..i'm having a problem particularly on making the fondant meet at the back of the bride icon_cry.gif ...sorry this is long icon_redface.gif ..i'm getting frustrated & cake is due on the 10th of april...any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

bobbie

10 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 11

can't you just make the bride standing up and then fold her into a sitting position??

Aine2 sells tutorials though, if you know you like her stuff........just get the tutorial (available for download on her site) that way you can make one just like hers!

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 11

I did this once on a practise cake but can only say I used a larger piece of fondant than I really needed, draped it round, cut of the excess and then gently rubbed the join with icing sugar on my finger.
Not much help sorry

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 11

I would have to agree with Jayne - start out with more fondant than you need and go from there.

I took Lorraine's bride & groom class, but my bride was standing up. You can't get a tutorial (from Lorraine) for the bride, but her Victorian Lady tutorial is available on her website (I took that class too). She is standing up though, so that might not help any. I do have all of Lorraine's tutorials and they are fantastic. I can hear her voice talking me through them as I work ... "Take a wee sausage ..." icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.extraicing.co.uk/#/sugarcraft-tutorials/4530759830

bobhope Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 11

thanks guys!i guess i just have to order aine's dvd's... in the meantime i will take up on your suggestions here to start w/ a big amount of fondant & cut off excess..actually, that's what i did earlier (at least now i know that's how you do it too icon_biggrin.gif ) but i wasn't too happy of how it came out so i thought perhaps there's some how to's out there that can help me...i'm more of a "visual" kind of gal icon_biggrin.gif ... THANKS AGAIN!!! icon_smile.gif

bobbie

bobhope Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

can't you just make the bride standing up and then fold her into a sitting position??

i'm not sure how this would work but i think it's worth trying..i still have enough time on my hands though..thanks ! thumbs_up.gif
will let you know how it went...

bobbie

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 11

Lorraine doesn't have DVD's YET, she sends you a link to her tutorial that you can print, save as a pdf file on your computer or access it online. Normally you would get her link very quickly, but she is in LA teaching classes this week. I don't know if she will be getting her tutorials out until she gets back home. She might be ... If you think that you might want one of them now, I would be happy to contact her and see if that would be possible. icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 11

Depending on when you need the bride, you can just send Aine a PM. She is always willing to help. Here is a link to her latest bride, and she is sitting down.
Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1595049

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #9 of 11

Heres one i did of a bride sitting. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1553274. i made her lower half already in the sitting position, then rolled out more gumpaste for the gown and draped it over her. HOWEVER, i think it may not be a bad thing to have a few folds in it as you would if u were sitting. i made another one once and had my daughter sit as a model on the floor so see how the fold fall naturally.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:09am
post #10 of 11

more.... i used a bit of crisco to help smooth the joining at the back. but just keep rubbing it, it'll soften up and work its way out.

bobhope Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 11

thank you all for your replies, tips & suggestions..i think i got it now..i finally figured how to go over it..i covered the back part of the torso/bodice i made earlier w/ a piece of fondant to look like the back part of the gown, made her sit on the edge of a partly fondant covered dummy cake ( this is going to sit on top of a real cake), attached the legs then roll another piece of fondant for the front part of her gown & tucked the edges underneath...

sweettoothmom1, you're right, it's not bad to have a few folds, it makes it look realistic.. thumbs_up.gif

mbt4955thanks for offering to contact lorraine..that's very nice of you icon_biggrin.gif

again thank you so much everyone who took time to reply..you're much appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%