Wilton Color Combinations

Decorating By Amber0508 Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm by Angel_Cake

Amber0508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber0508 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to make Navy blue without an actual navy blue color gel... Wilton says to use a combination of Royal blue and black, but this just makes a weird medium blue. Any other suggestions? I have almost every other Wilton color, I think, but my local craft stort didn't have a Navy blue.

7 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 8

You will need to go a very dark blue before you add the black. Approximately 1 tsp of wilton royal blue color for 1 cup of white icing and then add a small amount of black. If it is a little off sometimes the addition of a tiny bit of violet will help.

Amber0508 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try. I was getting a super-ugly blue/industrial/institutional blue. I wouldn't recomment it! I have to nail this blue, though. I'll keep you posted, thanks so much for quick replies!
Amber

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 8

I just tried this this weekend and I couldn't get it to work. Like yo I got a ugly industrial color but it makes sense really because BLUE is a primary color and you can't combine colors to get navy blue, just dirty up the "royal blue" but I tried, no success.

Amber0508 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks anyway! Looks like I'm going to have to go online and order some Nave from AmeriColor or something.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 8

Okay - sorry it didn't work. I was going by color charts and truthfully I use americolor mostly except for when I am teaching. You will love Americolor - It is wonderful!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 8

always had great luck with mixng wilton or any other brand of royal blue with little touch of black to make navy.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 8

I've also had success mixing royal blue and black, but like a previous poster said, you have to add A LOT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%