Blotchy Icing

Baking By messy1 Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 5:03am by luv2bake6

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #1 of 12

I know this has probably been discussed before but I am new at all this cookie decorating. I use the corn syrup, powder sugar icing recipe (Toba's style)but when it dries the icing gets blotchy. Dark in places and light in others. Can anyone tell me if they have conquered this problem. Do you use water or milk in the recipe, mixer or by hand? I have tried just about everything and nothing seems to matter....thanks bunches.

11 replies
JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 12

Could you be overheating your icing?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:10am
post #3 of 12

Generally, I'll have this problem only when it's cold in the house while the icing is drying. I'm also wondering if by stacking the "naked" cookies on top of each other, it affects the icing when I go to decorate. I did some cookies recently, and the ones that got stacked dried splotchy. The ones that were not stacked dried with a perfect finish. Same batch of icing. Just considering it as a cause.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 12

Did you add white food color to the batch? It makes a huge difference as well.

messy1 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #5 of 12

I don't heat the icing at all, just use warm water with the Karo syrup, so I don't think that is the problem. The house might be cool when the cookies are drying but I don't know what you mean by "naked" cookies. Do you mean after I bake them and store them in tupperware until I am ready to ice them, or do you mean when they are iced and dried and I store them on top of each other? How would you not stack them? I did read somewhere that you need to add white food color to the icing and I did just buy some of the Wilton white tint this week-end. I am baking a big batch for Easter this coming week-end so I will be trying the white tint in those. Thanks for all the advice.

GeminiRJ Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy1

The house might be cool when the cookies are drying but I don't know what you mean by "naked" cookies.

Cookies that are not iced are "naked". If you stack them to store until you are ready to decorate, be sure to place waxed paper between the layers. I can't understand why stacking them would result in a poorer icing finish, but it has happened to me!

messy1 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 12

I just got done making a big batch of cookies. I tried two things differently this time. I did not stack the "naked" cookies on top of each other. I stored them overnight with two layers of wax paper between them. I also tried the white tint for icing that is made by Wilton in my icing. So far the colors have stayed good. I have now stored them with wax paper between them again and put them in the freezer until Easter. Have you every froze your cookies and did the icing remain okay when they thawed? Thanks so much for you suggestion, so far it seems to be working.

messy1 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 12

Can anyone give me their favorite glace icing recipe. I have one that I use with the Karo light syrup, warm water and powder sugar. I add vanilla flavoring but it does not seem to have a strong icing flavor on the cookies. I like to pipe the cookie outline and flow the inside. What does everyone else use? Thanks.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:41am
post #9 of 12
Quote:

I just got done making a big batch of cookies. I tried two things differently this time. I did not stack the "naked" cookies on top of each other. I stored them overnight with two layers of wax paper between them. I also tried the white tint for icing that is made by Wilton in my icing. So far the colors have stayed good. I have now stored them with wax paper between them again and put them in the freezer until Easter. Have you every froze your cookies and did the icing remain okay when they thawed? Thanks so much for you suggestion, so far it seems to be working.

I have only frozen the decorated cookies a couple times. I learned that it's important for the icing to completely set before freezing or you run the risk of the icing getting splotchy or having spiderweb crackling. I let the cookies sit for a complete 24 hour period before freezing. I put them in freezer bags, then into tupperware containers (mostly just to prevent something from being place on top of them and crushing them!).

Good luck with your cookies!

messy1 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 12

Thanks....When you say that you let them set a full 24 hours before freezing, do you mean that you leave them out on the cookie racks uncovered for the full 24 hours or do you put them into tupperware but keep them out of the freezer for 24 hours? I always worry that leaving the cookies out that long uncovered they will dry out.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:55am
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Thanks....When you say that you let them set a full 24 hours before freezing, do you mean that you leave them out on the cookie racks uncovered for the full 24 hours or do you put them into tupperware but keep them out of the freezer for 24 hours? I always worry that leaving the cookies out that long uncovered they will dry out.

I usually finish decorating in the late afternoon or evening (doing most of my "fun" stuff on the weekend!) I used to put them in pizza boxes, closed. Now, I've had better luck with the finish if I just leave them out on the racks overnight, then box in the morning. The cookies don't dry out after just one night. And once they're completely dry, I feel comfortable putting them in bags and refrigerating.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:03am
post #12 of 12

Me too. I leave the cookies on racks, uncovered, all night and then either package or refrigerate, or freeze, depending on what they're for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%