Advice For Party

Decorating By AnaToplin Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm by 7yyrt

AnaToplin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaToplin Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

Last night I dined with a close friend. She will be hosting a Product Party in April, of wich I will be a guest, and wants me to bring in a cake of the theme. We were enjoying a wine tasting wile we dined, so I am not sure she really "heard" what I had to ask. I asked if she would be paying for the cake and for how many people...I then stopped myself and said she and I should sit down alone to discuss specifics and cost. She just laughed it off and told me what she wanted then and there. I asked her again through the night who would pay for it, but she never gave me a straight answer. I don't think she was avoiding answering the question, as she was just having fun, but I do need a straight answer. She might expect me to "gift" her the cake. She asked if I would be willing to do that if she purchased some items and gifted them to me in exchange- only problem is, I am not interested in any of the products offered. How should I bring it up again when I know she is sober? We live far away and e-mail is the best way to get a hold of her. And I need help with the wording of any written contact between us. Anytime my name t attached to an e-mail or one of my cakes, I am very careful, friend or not. Any advise?

6 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 7

Since I dont settle business details in a social setting I wondered when it would be convenient for me to call you to discuss the cost and details for your April cake? Ill probably only need 15 minutes of your time so let me know when youre available.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 7

"Just want to confirm the details of the cake for the party, so that I can quote you the price. Please let me know by the end of the week what flavor you would like and how many servings you will need. "

Make sure you get at least half of the money up front thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 7

You know what she wants right? Well email her a price quote based off of that. Tell her when you need the deposit and so on. Treat it like any other cake order from the get go.

I wouldn't do an exchange, unless you really want something they are offering. If she is hosting the party then I'm guessing she gets a discount on what she buys or gets so much free stuff if people order so much. To me it sounds like she wants a free or cheap cake.

If she brings up the exchange, just tell her, "I'm sorry but a (insert product here) isn't going to pay the bill for the ingredients and the water company won't take (insert product here) as a payment either."

Be sure you get paid in advance for this one. No cash, no cake.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 7

She might expect me to "gift" her the cake. She asked if I would be willing to do that if she purchased some items and gifted them to me in exchange- only problem is, I am not interested in any of the products offered

Don't mention any of the above ^^^
Just go with what the above CC's have said - that way there is no misunderstanding.
Both wendyB and cakesbycathy have worded it procise and to the point.

Best of luck

Bluehue.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 7

If she offers the exchange, I wouldn't mention the product does pay the costs. I would be honest and say, thanks, but that won't work. I need to keep business finances separate from personal items.

I've gotten inquiries from friends in social settings too, but also follow-up via email and say, let's talk details.

I've come to realize that I am REALLY lucky (knock on wood) with my friends. I have never had a friend expect a free cake. Not even my family (of course I make the immediate family bdays cakes for free, but that's different.) ask for free cake. My aunts (only ones have parties) insist on paying something.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 7

I posted my reply on your other thread. I'll copy it here.
--------
"I'm sorry (name), but I'm not in the market for 'toys' just now.
I need to pay the gas man... I don't think I want to give him 'toys' as payment - He might get the wrong idea!"
-
Perhaps too much for an acquaintance, but you did say she was a close friend, didn't you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%