Tiering

Decorating By Tiers_Of_Joy Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm by Tiers_Of_Joy

Tiers_Of_Joy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiers_Of_Joy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:48am
post #1 of 9

Hi all...can you explain to me, or point me towards a tutorial, about tiering. I'm going to do my first tiered cake tomorrow...just a 6" atop a 9". I was planning on simply placing the 6" on top of the 9" over three dowels for support. Does this need a center dowel to prevent slipping?? I saw the tutorial about the SPS system already...not something I need or have at this point in time.

Please help this novice decorator! Thanks in advance!

8 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 9

I would use 4 dowels, spaced evenly, and a center dowel right on through both cakes into my foamcore base. That sucker wont move at all! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Debbie

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 9

Here's a great YouTube video by Edna from here on CC:

Tiers_Of_Joy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 9

OK, I just watched Edna's tutorial and I have a probably REALLY dumb question. Since this is my first tiered cake I've never set a cake on the same size cake board---I usually cover a larger circle with aluminum foil or fancy foil and go from there. Edna said the board was covered with wax on both sizes...I just put the cake on the cardboard circle (!) icon_redface.gif What are you SUPPOSED to do on these same sized cake boards for tiering?? icon_redface.gif

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:23am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiers_Of_Joy

OK, I just watched Edna's tutorial and I have a probably REALLY dumb question. Since this is my first tiered cake I've never set a cake on the same size cake board---I usually cover a larger circle with aluminum foil or fancy foil and go from there. Edna said the board was covered with wax on both sizes...I just put the cake on the cardboard circle (!) icon_redface.gif What are you SUPPOSED to do on these same sized cake boards for tiering?? icon_redface.gif

Place a teaspoon of royal icing or butter cream so that the top board with stick to the top of the bottom tier and and the top tier would stick to the board underneath it, otherwise it will slide off. When you place a cake on a board you must place some thing for the cake to glue it on the board(hope i understood yr question correctly) Good luck

Tiers_Of_Joy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 9

do you need to cover the board with wax paper or can you do this right on the cardboard? I know, dumb question!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 9

That's not a dumb question at all! You can put the cake right on the cardboard. Are you doing buttercream or fondant? I have found that the cardboard rounds tend to not really be strong enough for buttercream cakes when you're stacking. (They flex under the cake and mess up the buttercream). Not as big of a deal with fondant. I know a lot of people like to cover their cardboard with something, but I never do. If you're going to use something 'non-food-safe', such as foamboard; than you will need to cover it with something. HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Tiers_Of_Joy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, THANK YOU!! this was a butercream cake...and it's "just" for my friend and her family so I'm not too nervous. She'll let me know how it all worked! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%