Mexican Flan Cake For A Wedding

Decorating By jkcurtis Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 3:36am by ayerim979

jkcurtis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkcurtis Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to make a flan cake for a wedding for a bride that was born and raised in Mexico. The mother in law is the one who hired me and doesn't seem to have much info on it other than the bride told her that is what she wanted. Does anyone have a recipe and/or any info on a flan cake. I've seen a few recipes online but nothing linking it to a wedding. If it is done for a wedding, then is it made in rounds? Is it tiered? How would it typically be decorated? Any help would be much appreciated.

3 replies
helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #2 of 4

Flan is a baked custard coated with caramel. The caramel is put in the dish with the custard poured over it then it is baked once it is cooled the pan is flipped and the caramel runs down the side. I have never heard of a flan cake. Sorry

TucsonGina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TucsonGina Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #3 of 4

I have made this Creamy Carmel Flan recipe several times and it has come out great:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Caramel-Flan/Detail.aspx

I have also taken it up a notch by baking a chocolate cake and inverting the flan on top, in which case it is then choco-flan . . . I have never seen it as a wedding case, per se, but you could get creative and pipe whipped cream on it and drizzle with chocolate. If you need several, you would have to use a floating stand or on a cake display stand that each cake is on it's on stand. Hope this helps . . .

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 4

Okay well I'm assuming the MIL was talking about a chocoflan cake which is flan at the top and cake in the bottom. I don't know if you can stack this type of cake though it is rather custard consistency

I have only tried it with a box cake mix (the bread part the flan is always from scratch

I start by making caramel sauce: to make the caramel sauce I usually use sugar and water , make it a syrup consistency then when somewhat cooled (not completely or it will harden) pour it in the baking pan

then make cake as directed and pour in the baking pan as well

For flan: just any flan recipe will work I usually use at least 6 eggs.

put all FLAN ingredients in a blender and blend well. Add the flan mix into the baking pan

make sure to slowly pour in the flan mixture on top of the cake mix

Bake at 350 degrees in a water bath for about 1 hour or until done.

Even though the flan is poured on top of the cake batter, it will sink to the bottom of the pan as it cooks. Once you take the cake out of the pan, the flan will be on top, so the caramel will drip over the sides.

*EDITED* to correct oven temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%