3 Tiered Cake

Decorating By cupcakeshelley Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm by cupcakeshelley

cupcakeshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeshelley Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:59am
post #1 of 6

Hi - I am only just beginning at cake decorating, my daughter would like a birthday cake that is 3 tiered. I am wondering - so the cake isn't as tall as a wedding cake - can I have 3 single layer cakes (each on their own board and stacked), but instead of having sponge/buttercream in the middle/sponge/then icing. Is it possible to do sponge without the buttercream in the middle then frost with buttercream and lay the icing directly onto the top. Or is it the usual to have sponge, buttercream filled, then sponge, then frosted and iced for each tier? HOpe you understand my garbled message. Thank you!

5 replies
Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:54am
post #2 of 6

Perhaps the wedding cakes you've seen are the 3" & 4" filled cakes. Maybe you can just do 2" cakes. However I would fill them as it adds something nice to the cake, although it depends on the persons preference.
Just my opinion icon_smile.gif

cupcakeshelley Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much - I will do that and make 2 thinner layers with the cream in the middle. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for your help! x x

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 6

What is it with daugs and 3 tier cakes! My daug. just turned 16yrs old, we didnt have a party per her request but since mom does pretty cakes as she says, she wanted a cake looking like a wedding cake...seperate tiers though...

so I came up with the Spiderman,Batman, Superman cake in my photos, if you take a peek please leave a comment on the photo....thanks!!!!

Im telling you!!!! daugs! lol

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not quite sure I completely understand your question icon_confused.gif but I believe you're asking if you can do tiers without any filling between them? If it were me, I'd bake two 2" cakes for each tier and do buttercream between them. (And you'll end up with 4-5 inch cakes) In my opinion really short cakes look skimpy and weird. I would avoid that at all costs. If you're worried about having too much cake you could use a dummy for one of the tiers. But, I have the philosophy that cake is pretty cheap and I could always use the extra practice. No harm in making a huge beautiful cake for your portfolio icon_rolleyes.gif

cupcakeshelley Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 6

thanks so much to everyone for your advice and help!
I will definately be putting buttercream in the middle now and will use two x 2" cakes for each tier. I just love this site. Thanks again to all x x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%