Cake For An Art Teacher??

Decorating By vagostino Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm by TheDomesticDiva

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 16

Hi!
I got a request for a cake in honor of an art teacher that is leaving the school. Is going to be presented at the art festival in front of 300 people!
What do it do??

I was thinking of a painters palette, brush etc... or go the other route and attempt one of those "Starry nights" cakes....(which is a gambling because I'm horrible at painting!)

Any ideas??

15 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 16

I would go with what makes you comfortable, there are tons of neat cakes that I have seen.

*EDITED TO ADD*

How many people is the cake suppose to feed? How about making a sheet cake and adding alot of splattered paint buckets or a messy pallette .

Heres a cute pic i found
LL
LL

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 16

My husband is a retired Art Teacher and I asked him what he would have liked as a cake. His response was "Get out of Jail Free Pass"

My suggestion is maybe do a Field with an Artist painting a scenery or building. Or, put a hammock with the Artist equipment on the ground with the Artist asleep in the hamock

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 16

How many is it to feed?

I would think about doing tiers that have sort of abstract painting on all of them...and then on various ledges of the tiers have paintbrushes that look "dipped"...maybe a few paint "droplets" here and there, and a palette leaning up somewhere and then maybe an easel on top with a painted message for the recipient.

vagostino Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #5 of 16

the lady that wants me to do the cake didin;t say for how many exactly, she only said "we don;t expect to feed everybody, just some teachers and parents and when its gone its gone" so I'm guessing 50 or so.
She mentioned something about a sheet cake because its easier to cut, but if i come with a cool design she might go for tiers.
I love kitagrl idea! what kind of "Abstract painting" are you referring to? just paint brush strokes here and there?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

the lady that wants me to do the cake didin;t say for how many exactly, she only said "we don;t expect to feed everybody, just some teachers and parents and when its gone its gone" so I'm guessing 50 or so.
She mentioned something about a sheet cake because its easier to cut, but if i come with a cool design she might go for tiers.
I love kitagrl idea! what kind of "Abstract painting" are you referring to? just paint brush strokes here and there?

I'm not even sure! LOL....maybe like a picasso/watercolor look....and then depending on how many tiers....maybe a plain tier to cut down on the "busy" look..... or maybe a tier that is plain white with a "pocket" and then paint spatters all over it like a smock....I'm not sure. haha.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 16

How about making a sheet cake that looks like a chalkboard and draw some perspective lines like train rails that start out regular at one end of the cake and go to a vanishing point at the other end. With something stated that he is moving on to retirement.

vagostino Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 16

Thank you! This are great ideas!!! With all those suggestions I'll be able to come up with something!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 16

How about making paint buckets with paint spilling out onto the cake?

vagostino Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 16

I'm a ding dong! The cake is for the MUSIC teacher!!!~ OMG! now I gotta go back and start thinking about music teacher cakes! (thank goodness I figure it out before decorating it!)

So sorry and thanks for all your help!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 16

LMAO imagine you have tooken the wrong cake

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 16

I made a cake for my brother's fiance that is studying to be an art teacher. It was a last minute thing and the cake settled but she still LOVED it!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1576322

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

I'm a ding dong! The cake is for the MUSIC teacher!!!~ OMG! now I gotta go back and start thinking about music teacher cakes! (thank goodness I figure it out before decorating it!)

So sorry and thanks for all your help!

Now that is funny!!! icon_biggrin.gif What are you doing for the music teacher?

vagostino Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 16

I was thinking about doing the first tier as the piano keys, and the other two tiers with staves going around and up, and music notes in them, and then on the top stars or music notes on wires....I've seen a bunch of those here so I'll try to combine ideas from them.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 16

This is a really cute piano cake - I've been dying to try it but have no reason to at the moment - might have to make up a reasonicon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1247587

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%