Red Velvet "cookie" Question

Baking By khufstetler Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 11:55pm by luv2bake6

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 13

Maybe I should post this in the cake section, but it really is a cookie question. I have a customer who would like heart shaped Red Velvet Cookies as favors for a wedding. Okay, even being from the south, I had never heard of them - so I googled it. There are an awful lot of recipes out there using RV box cake mix and dropping them, then using a cookie cutter to make the shapes. I did this as an experiment, but spread the batter out in a edged cookie sheet and then cut them out. They looked okay, but tasted awful alone (just okay with the cream cheese frosting between the two cookie layers).

I want to make them from scratch, but keep coming up with the "film" that winds up on the top of the cake layer. You know like if you put your hand on it, a little bit comes off? I hope that makes sense.

Does anyone have any ideas how to turn a scratch RV cake/cupcake recipe into a good cookie for my order?

Oh Lord, I really hope that all made sense. icon_redface.gif

12 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 13

Sometimes the boxes of cake mix have cookie recipes on the side of them.

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 13

Could you use NFSC and add chocolate Lorann and then color the dough red? Just a thought...I'm from the south but my experience with red velvet is only on the consumption side icon_biggrin.gif

khufstetler Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 13

Aaaahhhh - she wants them to be like cake but cookies. She wants them to look like this:

*that pic is from www.mintdesignblog.com, I borrowed it only for this purpose of example*

And I do not want to use the box mix unless I can figure out how to make it taste better. icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much for your help so far though!
I'm just stumped.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 13

That pic looks to me like someone just torted a thin layer of RV cake and put the icing between.

Maybe you could convince her to give RV cupcakes with a chocolate heart deco on top instead? Would be easier and less messy.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 13

Sounds and looks like a red velvet whoopie pie to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khufstetler

Aaaahhhh - she wants them to be like cake but cookies. She wants them to look like this:

*that pic is from www.mintdesignblog.com, I borrowed it only for this purpose of example*

And I do not want to use the box mix unless I can figure out how to make it taste better. icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much for your help so far though!
I'm just stumped.

khufstetler Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #7 of 13

EXACTLY! Maybe I should try to make the whoopie pie recipe red.... haha, I'm too tired to think anymore.

prterrell - I tried icon_cry.gif she would like them as cookie sandwiches in boxes with clear window and red/white ribbons.

I would like this order... it's a big one.

I continue to thank you for all of your advice - now going to lookup whoopie pies............. icon_confused.gif

RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 13

I'm with you and HATE the taste of the RV cake mixes.

I use this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/red-velvet-whoopie-pies-recipe/index.html

These are AMAZING!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you ladies SO MUCH... I am baking tonight and will update!

khufstetler Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you ladies SO MUCH... I am baking tonight and will update!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 13

I found some that were piped, and so have a slightly different look.
http://annies-eats.com/2010/02/08/red-velvet-whoopie-pies/

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:55pm
post #13 of 13

Oh, YUM!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%