Our Ultimate Cake- Monster Jam

Lounge By KimAZ Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 5:01am by anasasi

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 21

Here are some photos I took of the Monster Jam cake me and my team created for Ultimate Cake Off.

We didn't win the money but we won just by being there, making the biggest, most extreme cake any of us had ever done and finishing it!

It was such a great time and such an honor to be a part of it all!

KimAZ
LL
LL
LL
LL

20 replies
CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 21

I WATCHED THIS EPISODE LAST NIGHT I LOVED YOUR CAKE

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 21

I watched last night and was amazed! I loved your cars...the tires were simply brill! Sorry you didn't win..we SO thought you were going to and were very surprised when you didn't! I don't know how you deal with that kinda of pressure..I don't even want someone talking to me when I'm putting fondant on a cake or doing detail work and you have an environment where they are looking over your shoulders all the time and a room full of people while you work! I applaud that fact alone..that you could work under that kind of pressure! Good work!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 21

Congrats, your cake was amazing!! I loved that it had those bright bold colours, I think it really made it pop icon_biggrin.gif

yummyumm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummyumm Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 21

It was awesome! My husband liked yours best...thought the mouth was pretty cool. Way to go on your first challenge!

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 21

Your cake was amazing!! Congratulations on a job well done!! I'm certainly glad I wasn't a judge on that particular show. I usually don't like all 3 cakes, but I did on this episode. I loved the "mouth" on your cake and the fact that you made the stadium.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 21

I loved the challenge. I thought your cake was great and hope to see you again. Have to wonder about editing again on this show, because this time Ashley(Don't call her Ashicon_smile.gif) wasn't as pleasant to watch as on the last challenges. I really loved her before and thought she was robed on the underwater one, but did not love the way she came off on this last challenge. Hope it was all editing and not her win going to her head.

Part of Southern Charm is Southern Grace, of which seemed (edited out I hope!!!) to be missing on the show from her yesterday.

Congrats!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 21

You all did a great job!! I cannot imagine doing such a big cake in that amount of time. What do they do with the cakes after the show? (are you allowed to say?)

Comgratulations on finishing a great cake! icon_smile.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 21

I loved your cake too - especially that tongue! It ws neat they waited to show that until the very end of the show.

KimAZ Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 21

Thank you everyone! I personally didn't have the added pressure of being interupted like the team leaders did because I was an assistant and never had to talk to judges or leave the kitchen.

The whole mouth on our cake was not the original plan. They ( the producers) made us change it 2 days before taping because our original design was a giant tire cake with flames all around it and too similar to the blue team's cake. It came out great and we actually liked it better in the end but man alive, the stress of having to come up with a whole new design last minute like that liked to have killed us!

Trust me when I say Ashley is a wonderful lady! She was very kind, helpful and generous to all of us. They surely edit the show to make it look like it was all drama. They actually encouraged chit chat and bantering back and forth between teams. There IS stress for sure and things don't go the way you think at times. But they also prompt the lead decorators ( and judges too) to say things they might not have said on their own.

The two cakes that did not win get deconstructed right after judging and the beauty shots are taken and thrown in the dumpster. Pity really....so much time, effort and hard work right in the trash. They don't allow the cakes to be given away, etc because of food laws I'm sure. My team didn't take home anything from our cake at all. Even the support pieces- plywood, pipe, styrofoam, wires, mechanics, etc all got trashed. Maybe some teams do keep some parts though.

Thanks for watching!

KimAZ

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesbyMomME

I loved the challenge. I thought your cake was great and hope to see you again. Have to wonder about editing again on this show, because this time Ashley(Don't call her Ashicon_smile.gif) wasn't as pleasant to watch as on the last challenges. I really loved her before and thought she was robed on the underwater one, but did not love the way she came off on this last challenge. Hope it was all editing and not her win going to her head.

Part of Southern Charm is Southern Grace, of which seemed (edited out I hope!!!) to be missing on the show from her yesterday.

Congrats!

I couldnt agree more !! Didnt care for this winner at all...

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 21

Kim, That was an awesome cake. That tongue made me giggle and think of Gene Simmons from Kiss. LOL

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 21

Loved the whole contest! All the cakes were so incredible that it would have been hard to judge, but IMHO, I love yours. Loved the design, loved the colors, and loved how you guys worked together.

What an amazing experience that had to be!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 21

This was my favorite cake!!!..I thought it was going to win!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 21

That was so much fun to watch! Loved your team's cake the most - on camera the colors really made it pop! All three cakes were great, but one thing bugged me - that the yellow team's cake showed so much more of their support structure which was metallic/red/blue. It didn't seem fair because that surface added to the overall effect and was obviously not edible. Go back and look at the cakes again and imagine that one without those parts showing.

Sugarbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbutter Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #16 of 21

Excellent effort. Great team. Your cake captured the essence of the Monster Truck competition. Congratulations!

BTY, how did you get the chocolate to stick to your wheel inserts?

KimAZ Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 21

Sugarbutter,
You must be thinking of the yellow team's chocolate tires and I believe they drilled holes in the chocolate, poured more chocolate inside the holes, then stuck the two sides of the tires together.

My team's tires were made from rice cereal and fondant.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

KimAZ

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #18 of 21

wow I just finished watching this episode and I think that the three cakes were awesome!!!! they were just perfect!!!! great work!! I love all of them congratulations!!!

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #19 of 21

Great Job! I caught the re-run last night and my son (who will be 5 tomorrow) watched the end with me and decided that now he wants a monster truck cake for his party on saturday! lol nothing like last minute.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:29am
post #20 of 21

Oh wow, Kim. That cake is stellar! I am so sorry I missed the show! I will have to go to the website and watch it there.

It's so cool to look at those photos and go "I KNOW THOSE PEOPLE!!" icon_lol.gif

Any plans to re-create it for next year's Sugar Arts show?

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:01am
post #21 of 21

OMG, Kim that cake was the one I was rooting for. The whole thing with the tongue was just completely unexpected, I loved it! I had no idea a fellow cc'er was on that team! I was so into the episode since it was one of the better ones, and I was actually pretty upset when your cake wasn't chosen. I think you captured the whole spirit behind the Monster Jam w/it, plus your cake really was so much more vibrant and fun to look at compared to the other two. You guys did an outrageous job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%