Edible Printers - I'm So Confused!

Decorating By Munchkinette Updated 30 May 2010 , 2:19am by icingimages

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 18

My mom said that if I could pin point exactly which model printer to buy, she's buy us both one! So I've been researching edible printers and the more I research the more confused I seem to get. And yes I did do a search on here, but that even confused me more! I did narrow it down to a Canon printer. But which model canon!? Which model do those of you that have edible printers use? What do you all recommend? We're just hobby bakers, so something inexpensive would be fine. Thanks!

Becky

17 replies
robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 18

How generous of your mom!! Very exciting

I'm afraid I won't be much help, because I feel the same way. The more I Google and read on here, the more confused I get. There's just so much info to sift through! Hopefully this thread will get some good replies, everyone here is amazing with tips and info icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 18

I had the same problem. I just want a cheapie Canon that will work with the edible ink cart., the model # don't exactly line up with what I can find out there, and I didn't want to risk getting one that won't work. I finally just blew it off til later, so I'll be watching this thread.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 18

I've got my DH researching this, he works for Xpedx printing and graphics..... I think he can get a really good price since he's on the inside. I'm a hobby baker too and I don't want to spend a ton of money on a printer, ink and refills. I will watch this thread and let you know what we come up with.

cakelady2112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2112 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 18

I recently purchased the Canon ip4700 for $99.00. I Love it. I had a Photofrost printer(which also was Canon) but the ip4700 works much better

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2112

I recently purchased the Canon ip4700 for $99.00. I Love it. I had a Photofrost printer(which also was Canon) but the ip4700 works much better

How much are the inks? if you don't mind my asking......

cakelady2112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2112 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 18

I purchased the food color cartridges from photofrost, it was $85.00 for the set

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 18

You can also get the ink from icingimages. They have great customer service.

aepearson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aepearson Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 18

I recently bought an epson stylus NX415 and so far it seems to work fine I bought the printer on amazon for a little over $50. I got the ink from walkers-oneline-sales.com they also havs several printers listed on this sight

aepearson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aepearson Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 18

I got my ink for $70

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 18

First, go to the edible ink sites (just Google edible ink cartridge) and make a list of the printers that are supported.

Decide if you want Cannon or Epson. It seems like half the people like Canon and half like Epson. Brand may not make a lot of difference.

Start shopping for the models form the original list. Check to see HOW MANY cartridges they use. Some printers use 4, some 5 and some 6. I see no advantage to more cartridges and it costs you $$$ more every time you have to buy them. My Canon had 5 cartridges and its was a $$ pain.

Then, just buy the printer that uses the fewest number of cartridges and the best price.

sherrywarf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrywarf Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 18

I purchased the Canon IP3600. I actually found it on Amazon for like 40.00 plus shipping. I then went to IcingImages dot com and purchased her Gold Label Ink Cartriges for $88.00, the head cleaner for $20.00, and a pack of edible paper for $28.00. Add in the shipping.
When I received the printer, I did not even open the ink that came with it (can resell on ebay). I then inserted the Gold Label ink straight into it (no swapping metal connectors. These ink cartridges already have the right connectors on them for the printer to be able to read the levels.
I have printed multiple items on this printer and everyone of them has come out excellent.
This printer is just a regular printer that prints straight from your computer (by wire or wireless). There are no additional bells and whistles. There is another higher model that has the scanner on it on top, in case you need a scanner. I did not because I already had one on another printer.
When I did all of my research, I did come to understand that whatever printer you decide on needs to be an absolutely new one (for food safety issues). You cannot interchange the edible ink and the regular ink.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #13 of 18

I think I would buy the same model of printer I already had for my computer. That way the new ink that came with the 2nd one, would not be wasted.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

I think I would buy the same model of printer I already had for my computer. That way the new ink that came with the 2nd one, would not be wasted.

It you can get edible ink cartridges for that printer that would be great.

MandaBrizown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:52am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrywarf

I purchased the Canon IP3600. I actually found it on Amazon for like 40.00 plus shipping. I then went to IcingImages dot com and purchased her Gold Label Ink Cartriges for $88.00, the head cleaner for $20.00, and a pack of edible paper for $28.00. Add in the shipping.
When I received the printer, I did not even open the ink that came with it (can resell on ebay). I then inserted the Gold Label ink straight into it (no swapping metal connectors. These ink cartridges already have the right connectors on them for the printer to be able to read the levels.
I have printed multiple items on this printer and everyone of them has come out excellent.
This printer is just a regular printer that prints straight from your computer (by wire or wireless). There are no additional bells and whistles. There is another higher model that has the scanner on it on top, in case you need a scanner. I did not because I already had one on another printer.
When I did all of my research, I did come to understand that whatever printer you decide on needs to be an absolutely new one (for food safety issues). You cannot interchange the edible ink and the regular ink.

Thanks I have been going in circles trying to decide which one to buy. This model was the one I kept leaning towards. I am glad I was not the only one who was confused.

MandaBrizown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:53am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrywarf

Thanks I have been going in circles trying to decide which one to buy. This model was the one I kept leaning towards. I am glad I was not the only one who was confused.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:04am
post #17 of 18

i got mine from icingimages dot com and am loving it and them and their customer service. their frosting paper is also WAAAY better that the korycake brand that I tried too. my son actually snacks on the discarded pieces!

I considered doing as the pp mentioned and buying the printer separate and cheap and just getting the inks or whatever, but as soon as you install the edible inks, it voids the warranty. icingimages guarantees them (for a while, you'll have to check out their site) so I felt a lot safer with that.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:19am
post #18 of 18

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind words. The Canon ip3600 and the MP560 have been great printers. We have found them to be very reliable and with our Gold Label inks and Premium Icing Sheets you get the nicest prints I have ever seen in 11 years of business! As for the warranty, we do have a limited warranty on the printer. We will be glad however to answer any questions people have regarding the printers whether they purchase it from us or not. Many times we are able to revive printers that people thought were trashed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%