French Buttercream

Baking By Wendoger Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 10:14am by ice21

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

...so I've been looking around for a good french bc recipe, but I've never made it so how would I know what a good one is? Someone on CC said a good bc recipe has egg yolks in it...then I found some recipes on other sites that have none in them. I also found Duff Goldman's recipe that has only egg whites...so I guess my question is (for all you professionals out there) what is your 'good' (by good I mean mouth-watering yummy) french bc recipe?
icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 6

Typically, FRENCH buttercream includes yolks. Duffs recipe is more like a Swiss Merginue Buttercream, only he doesn't cook the eggs. A regular Swiss Meringue cooks the eggwhites and sugar.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 6

According to The Cake Book, "a classic French buttercream is made by pouring a hot sugar syrup into beaten eggs and then adding softened butter." She goes on to explain that it is a finicky frosting, the boiling sryup must be at 238 degrees when it is added to the eggs or the frosting will be too thin (too low temp) or the syrup will clump in the bowl (too high temp). Sounds like a buttercream that needs lots of practice and patience! Let me know if you need the recipe, I have never made it.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 6

I use an italian meringue buttercream from Sylvia Weinstock's book that is all egg whites whipped to soft peaks, then cooked sugar syrup (at 240 degrees) is slowly added on high speed, then butter is whipped in once the mixture cools. Not hard to do and SO delish. It's all I ever use. Not the easiest thing to pipe with, but it's worth it.

The Cake Bible has a few different recipes too; all are good. I only use an egg yolk recipe for my fillings, because it's a bit richer.

chonrath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chonrath Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 3:11am
post #5 of 6

I just made a honey buttercream that used 9 yolks and boiling honey. Not sure if that then is considered French BC. The consistency was nice, although a bit soft. I haven't used it yet for decorating, so not sure how it will be to pipe. Assuming it will be stiffer after it cools a bit.

It has a subtle honey flavor and the texture is softer than that of the more traditional buttercream. As long as it goes onto the cake well, I will definitey use it again as it was not difficult to make and has a wonderful taste.

ice21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ice21 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 10:14am
post #6 of 6

from me french girl i'll tell you french buttercream is just unsalted butter, egg yolk and ice sugar... very good very sweet but i have to say that ok to frost a cake but not so much to pipe 'cause de butter melt to quickly...
i am looking to try something else cause my cakes never comes out so good as the one on CC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%