Help On Colors???

Decorating By erilay Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm by dailey

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:37am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a cake with slanted sides but not a slanted top. I am doind diamond pattern over that whole base. The next tier is a shoe box with a high heel ontop. I might do balls around the base and a bow inbetween both tiers off to the side.

The woman I am doing the cake for said make it colorful but no other dirrection as to the colors. She is using multi colored ballons at the Bridal Shower. I am at a loss. I have drawn 5 sketches so far.
Hot pink, silver and black and gray. (not very colorful though)
Hot pink, lime green, pale pink (maybe orange also?)
Hot pink, pale pink, lime green, apple green
Purple base with green and pink diamonds, gold bow and balls. The box is pink with a gold lid and a black and gold shoe ontop. I drew some black zebra or curleys on the shoe box.

Anyone have any really great colorful cake ideas???? or like one of mine???
I don't want to go over-board...thanks so much icon_redface.gif

6 replies
candicemorgannicholson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candicemorgannicholson Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:06am
post #2 of 7

Earlier I had this same problem, so I googled "2010 Trend Colors" and was pretty happy with what I got. My favorite combination was yellow, aqua, white and silver. To me it just seemed very fresh, clean, and springish. I will have to admit though my favorite combinations of all tim is apple, hot pink, orange, and white. Those colors seem to work for anyone. If the client is a little older you might want to stick with something a little more sophisicated IMO. Maybe like hot pink, black and silver. HTH. Good luck with your cake though it sounds super great.

Cake-makerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-makerz Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 7

Do something light:

White, egg yellow, silver, aqua

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 7

I had a similar request for a birthday cake. She wanted a "diva" cake. Take a look at the pink/black/white cake with feathers on top in my pics. That's what I ended up doing for her.

erilay Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for the help. I am going to try that site. Great tip. I looked up cake colors but it was not a huge help. Hopefully your will be more helpful. I might call her as well. I don'y want it to look like a circus cake. thanks again

erilay Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 7

I posted tha cake I am going to do . It has the shoe on top. It is only going to be the top 2 tiers though. Any sugestions with the colors???

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 7

if it were me, i would do lime green and pink for the 2 tiers, then accent with robin egg blue, yellow, light pink. to make it more "chic", i would also throw in some black accents or silver. sounds like its gonna be a fun cake. ♥

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%