Fondant And Filling Question

Decorating By insaneusmcwife Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm by insaneusmcwife

insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 3

Its been years since I have made a cake days in advance and had to freeze it and I've never used fondant or MMF before or had to freeze a cake with filling so please forgive me if I'm asking dumb questions.

1. Can you freeze fondant? What about MMF?
2. My filling is going to be choc ganash with sliced strawberries for one layer and choc pudding with choc chips in the other. Can those be frozen or will it ruin the quality?

ideally I would like to make everything today and assemble tomorrow. But I don't need the cake until Wed afternoon. I work during the day and have baseball practice in the evenings so I won't have time to do it Tuesday night. Should I freeze my cake or just put it in the fridge. Will it be ok or should I suck it up and stay up all night Tuesday night putting the cake together? The cake is for a coworkers baby shower and I really want it to turn out icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance for your time icon_smile.gif

2 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 3

I wouldn't freeze a decorated cake. You can freeze your undecorated cakes with no problem. Let them thaw in the fridge. The fill it and crumb coat it. Stick it back in the fridge to firm up and settle a bit. However, if you are needing the cake so soon, no freezing is necessary.
I always decorate my cake a couple of days in advance and keep it in the fridge. Although if you are putting fondant over it, it will stay fresh at room temperature.

insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 3

I used to always freeze my decorated cakes....years ago when I worked for a bakery we would make all of our "kit cakes" that were for the weekend, during the week and freeze them, then move them to the walk in on Friday to thaw. We didn't use fondant and we didn't use fresh fruit so that is where my delima is. I have an extra fridge in the garage so I will assemble it tomorrrow and put it in there as I will have pudding in the top layer and I don't want it to sit out for too long icon_smile.gif Thank you for your time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%